TPO/Development

ukminch

I've got to wait for materials for a job until tomorrow so I'm trying to catch up on all my quotes and paperwork.....

I've just been to look at a job, the development is about 30 year olds. The house is at the bottom of the slope, with a grass bank and path running down to the house. There is a tree in the middle of the grass bank that was planted as a requirement of the development in the middle of the grass. This tree has a TPO on it. However somebody has recently topped it - Customer delighted till I pointed out that the shape may be ok but the work is pants.

Now back on track the client wants to install a driveway level with the road. Not a problem normally build retaining wall fill in. However I have a feeling the area will be in the root zone of the tree. Anybody fill me in on rules and regs please. Also if this is not possible is it possible to do anything with the path that is being lifted. She wants to install some steps instead of a sloping path, again probably in the root protection zone.

Normally I'd ring up the council and have a chat but with the work that has already been done I don't want to be the one that gets the council involved with the broken TPO.

Sure theres got to be a way of doing it, or the other option is to just walk away altogether

Rob

I would be the one to bring in the council especially if the work is pants. Just suppose you do this new work and you manage to comply with all the TPO regs and Bs5837 and the tree shows signs of stress or dying. You could still get tarred with the same brush.

It might not be the best time to start playing about in the root zone just after the tree as had works to the crown.

Yep I fully agree, and before I carry out any works I will speak to the tree officer, but at the quotation stage I don't really want to be involved, in the can of worms it will open. I will also be suggesting felling and replacing the tree with a more suitable species. Normally the tree officer is my first call for advice, hence asking on here without. I'm thinking that a couple of piles for the footings with a raft system for the retaining wall, then a cellweb type system for the infill. Is it 12 times the diameter of the tree that gives you the radius

Rob