Getting into arb work

fishbone

Hi everyone.. This is my first post on this forum!!

Im a 32 year old male and am in a fortunate position to have a steady job that pays most of my bills and also offers me the flexibility to work a second job. I've always loved the outdoors and had an enthusiasm for tree surgery. I'd like to enter the trade with a view to developing my own business over time maybe diversifying into milling etc if things work out. I'm based in West London so have access to the city as well as much of Berks,Bucks and Herts.

I have some time and money to invest in this so want to do it right. Can anyone advise me on the best path to take from here including your views on the industry worts and all!!

Regards

Daniel

Hard work day in day out, dragging conifer is boring, it rains when you don't want it to, you always hit a nail with your chain on a friday afternoon when your nearly finished, the chinstrap on your helmet irritates your stubble and tea out of a flask is not the same as a cup.

But - its a brilliant lifestyle and keeps you fit better than any gym.

You need a good strong pension plan in place as you cant go forever in the industry.

You've picked a bad time in regards to trying to start - the market is quite flooded with out-of-college guys and companies undercutting and bringing values down, and there's an infinite amount to learn before your any good.

In terms of investment it can be as little or as large as you want - If you gave me 20K I could iron it out for you tomorrow and you wouldnt have anything amazing. However a few thousand would see the foundations (basic NPTC courses, PPE, a chainsaw, a reliable set of wheels to name a few) and other equipment can be hired, borrowed and subcontracted from other arborists in your area after you start a working relationship with them.

I would suggest offering yourself to a local reputable company for experience... If your lucky and get an opportunity with the right people you will see a huge cross section of work and gain a basic understanding very quickly of what goes on day to day.

I could write a book in response to your post as could most other people on here, however getting out there with a contractor is really your building blocks to start thinking from.

:001_smile: