Just ordered a sj, rg and pantin...

samthescam

So what should I expect? I'm using a prussik, but after speaking the accountant it turned out that he thinks I should spend some money so I have done. Admittedly I got the sj last week from matt buttler on here, havnt used it yet though.

So, any tips on how I should start of on this? Also from taking the sj apart whats the point in the spring part? Sorry if I'm being daft here, but dont get what its there for... And from dicking about in my garden and looking at the video, to release it just a bit on branch walks what part do you press?

Sorry if it's been done before, just looking for advise from going from mr basic, to mr shiney stuff. I'm sure other people on here might be thinking about the big switch so it will be helpful.

Yep - so thanks in advance, and awaiting some abuse.

Thanks I've seen that video... It was one of the main reasons I chose to buy the gear. But when he demonstrates moving out just a bit the spider jack seems to sort of have a cranking noise... Where is that coming from, I mean what part does he press to release it like that. All I can work out to do is to pull the handle just a little bit. But tht doesn't seem to give you much control. I might just be being blonde today...

You need to use the wooden brake. What I do is push the wooden brake onto the rope then pull the black lever towards you, then slowly release the pressure on the brake and you will start to move. If you just use the black lever it is very hard to control.

It sounds more complicated than what it is.

You need to use the wooden brake. What I do is push the wooden brake onto the rope then pull the black lever towards you, then slowly release the pressure on the brake and you will start to move. If you just use the black lever it is very hard to control.

It sounds more complicated than what it is.

No that makes perfect sense thanks. Just trying to work out how it works in case I was doing something wrong. When you release the handle and wooden brake, do you find you have to push the handle back up, or does it happen automatically for you? Because the one I have does seem to catch but only after a fe seconds and I'm not very happy free falling for that long.

Just go out and get used to it. Only use the black lever on it's own for walking out on branches and the likes, for descending use black lever + wooden brake. If you're kit isn't making a cranking sound that's probably a good thing.

Good. I will do, but given I've had no training in this kit and no one around here uses any of it I'd rather ask a few questions before I use it to hang at 90 foot.

Start off low and slow.

I went from prussik to SJ in the last few weeks it is so much easier to climb with than the prussik. I also use a sling to move it away from me when climbing then clip it back when branch walking. My next buy will be a pantin.

Def get a pantin mate, I used one from a guy who works for me. Makes long ascents a doddle. I don't think I'd use it on 90 percent of trees at work, but for the price it's def something to have in the bag.

A lad Iwork with had a go on my SJ I explained how it worked and told him NOT to just use the black lever, anyway he saw me jumping off a branch and coming down. He had a go from about 6 foot up pulled just the black lever free falled for about 3 foot then left go of the SJ I think his balls are still up the tree he was in agony. Needless to say I was in tears laughing. Hw til wants one though