wannabe climber seeking help

corkim84

hi all , i'm really wanting to become a climber,and have been looking for places to take the take the right training,and finding them to be quite expensive does anyone know anywhere in the hull area that offers courses at a descent price or even where i can do an apprentership.any advice would be greatly received.

hi all , i'm really wanting to become a climber,and have been looking for places to take the take the right training,and finding them to be quite expensive does anyone know anywhere in the hull area that offers courses at a descent price or even where i can do an apprentership.any advice would be greatly received.

Think your going to have to be a bit more specific. Are you looking at getting just the tickets? (30,31,38,39?) Or are you looking to do an NC or ND? If that doesnt make sense ask.

What experience have you got? Your best bet is to just do your 30 and 31 and then get some work experience. Your more likely to find someone who can give you a chance if you can legally work on the ground.

what is nc and nd ?

nc - is a national certificate. this is a one year course and teaches you about ident and other stuff other than how to use a saw and how to climb. nd is national diploma, this is a two year course and goes into much more depth.

neither of them are required legally to work in arb, but it will help you out.

Also - to note, I'm not a tree surgeon. If i was using one as a subcontractor all i'd be interested in are tickets. However a company who are arb related might want to know you can do more than chop them.

in that case it would just have to be the tickets as i work full time and need to save the money first,then do the training,dont have any experience but this is something that i've been wanting to do for months so if doing the 30 and 31 would get me a foot on the ladder then i suppose thats the way to go.

in that case it would just have to be the tickets as i work full time and need to save the money first,then do the training,dont have any experience but this is something that i've been wanting to do for months so if doing the 30 and 31 would get me a foot on the ladder then i suppose thats the way to go.

Wait for better man (and women) to answer. The thing is, it depends on so much. Like your age, fitness levels, and attitude. If you present yourself as someone who is going to work like a horse and has a great attitude people will want to give a chance. And in all honesty, tickets are all that is needed.

you will need tickets for sure but most of all experience and a will to sweat a lot works, problem being its difficult to get the experience so you will need to really want this as your future and have a lot of motivation. If your young then go for it but be prepared for a rocky ride. If your getting on a bit then physical fitness may play a bigger part in it and you may struggle to get your body in the right shape and you could be passed it by the time you get your feet in the door. There is lots to think about but first things first, get your qualifications and dont cut your leg off :thumbup:

cheers, am only 27, saw a vid on you tube about 8 months ago and now becoming a climber is all i can think about my current job is physically demanding so don't think that will be a problem, finding the money for the courses while supporting my girlfriend and three kids on the other hand could be troublesum,does £700 for cs30,31 sound about right would this be enough to get me started.

cheers, am only 27, saw a vid on you tube about 8 months ago and now becoming a climber is all i can think about my current job is physically demanding so don't think that will be a problem, finding the money for the courses while supporting my girlfriend and three kids on the other hand could be troublesum,does £700 for cs30,31 sound about right would this be enough to get me started.

haha yea the money suckers will be your biggest problem:lol:

As for how much 30 and 31 cost, i couldnt say cos its been so long since i did mine that for sure the price is more. Someone else will need to jump in for that one.

Good luck:thumbup1: