Stihl 038 AVS

ctenicera

Hiya,

Need to replace ignition module on one of these and been told that post-1990 models have a different ignition module to pre-1990 ones (don't know age of the saw - suspect it is pre-1990 - anyone know the years this model was manufactured).

Anyone know if this is true? Got the parts catalogue and I can only find one part number from there and anywhere on the internet.

Cheers

Not aware of any change in 1990. Early versions had points and condensor but I believe that was confined to the 038AV which stopped production in 1983. i.e. your saw should be electronic (038AVS was after this).

Does it say "electronic quickstop" on the top cover label?

Are there any wires going under the flywheel?

It is most likely your saw uses the standard 0000 400 1300 coil used on a lot of Stihl saws. Probably find one on ebay cheap. A picture of the coil wood be good.

For your reference if you give me the serial number or first 4 digits of it I can give you a pretty good idea of its age.

:001_smile:

Hiya,

Yeah, it's electronic quickstop and has black and green/yellow wires. The first 4 digits of serial number are 1223 (number punched into metal below exhaust is serial number yeah?). Photos of module that came out of it attached.

Thanks for your help :thumbup1:

DSCF7288_.JPG.a3d8ed3d805bf3138a36c328ed3f75b8.JPG

DSCF7287_.JPG.4c1641c2deb4d0700939edfc9092d1f7.JPG

That is the 0000 400 1300 coil it is also used on 024,026,028,029,039,034,036,044,048,064,MS240,MS260,MS290,MS310,MS390,MS340,MS360,MS380,MS381,MS440 and MS640 saws. However, some of these saws had other coils instead at different times in production.

I'm assuming you have no spark. You can uncrew the HT lead (big grey wire) from the module and check with a multimeter. Also be sure the kill wire wasn't grounding anywhere and the coil-flywheel gap is set correctly. You can use a business card wedged between the two.

If you buy a used one from one of the saws above you will probably have to change the HT lead as the only difference between the saws is the length of the lead.