Help

beyond paradise

Not sure about your sums there.

With the trees ranging between 30 and 60cm dbh, how did you come up with .27 cube of planks per tree? Depending on how thickly you cut them, you might only get 2-4 good-sized planks per tree before you're getting very narrow. Also, bear in mind stem taper, relatively thick bark and the fact that an Alaskan mill, unlike a portable mill which runs a bandsaw-type blade, has a very thick kerf which results in a cumulative loss of volume. You also have to reckon on "breaking a few eggs" and losing some to wastage with the first few times you use the mill if you're learning. They can be hellish fiddly things to set up, particularly in windblow where you might not be able to position yourself ideally. I think 4hrs per tree in this situation, or your own, might be optimistic.

Also, do you have a kiln? If not, you're not comparing like for like. And I certainly wouldn't pay £2k per cube for planks, particularly when processed on an Alaskan mill.

If this is a long-term proposition for you, it might make lots of sense (particularly if you can get other work for the big saw, whether an 66 or an 88), but I really wouldn't count of you recovering your outlay in the first outing. I'd still suggest that a pro with a good-quality portable mill (i.e. not a chainsaw-driven one) would be the way to go.

Best of luck.