16ft ifor Williams for 2.5t digger

mattplace

Does anyone use a lm166 (16ft dropside) for transporting a 2.5t digger?

I've got a gd106 with fold down ramp which is nice and low and easy use but it's a one trick pony and it's f'ing wide!

I've been offered a 16ft ifor which would be a much better all-rounder as I could get the chipper and grinder on it and it would get used a lot more for general use.

We've got a 16ft tri axle ifor we use to move plant. Our alpine tractor puts it on its limit and combination of chipper and grinder is probably a bit over. The trailer can cope with it no bother in my opinion. If we tow it with the mog it's fine. If we tow it with 3.5t truck or 4x4 pickup I really don't recommend it, snakes easily and really isn't great as the weight is so high up. A double axle would poss be worse?

Hi

Used to own a 16ft tri axle great trailer and lovely to tow just watch your load position and hitch height. I got rid of the 16ft for a 12ft tipper because of its size and overhang when going off road a decision I regretted virtually straight away. Ive since compromised and now have a 14ft tri axle which has turned out to be pretty much spot on yes you lose on carrying capacity with the 3rd axle but the degree of tolerance it gives you load position wise is worth it in my opinion. On a slightly different note I looked everywhere for a tidy used one, I got fed up of looking at overpriced used tat and went to a Ifor dealer direct I paid £2760 new plus VAT for a LM146 Tri axle and ladder rack, compared to what some people are asking for used its a no brainer

Hi

Used to own a 16ft tri axle great trailer and lovely to tow just watch your load position and hitch height. I got rid of the 16ft for a 12ft tipper because of its size and overhang when going off road a decision I regretted virtually straight away. Ive since compromised and now have a 14ft tri axle which has turned out to be pretty much spot on yes you lose on carrying capacity with the 3rd axle but the degree of tolerance it gives you load position wise is worth it in my opinion. On a slightly different note I looked everywhere for a tidy used one, I got fed up of looking at overpriced used tat and went to a Ifor dealer direct I paid £2760 new plus VAT for a LM146 Tri axle and ladder rack, compared to what some people are asking for used its a no brainer

I agree ,I borrowed a friends triaxle and its far more forgiving on load distribution.

The twin axle tilt bed we have is good for plant/mini tractors but up near the weight limit tyres have been known to let go.

image.jpg1_zps3w0wmr1g.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

With a digger it looks a lot of weight high up on them and if things did start to get squirmy (with a blowout or poor loading), I fear it's only going to end badly.

Maybe a tri-axle is the way forward and not this 16ft twin axle I've been offered.

We've got a Kubota 61-3 2.5 ton digger which actually weighs 2.7 ton with no buckets. We use the LM106 trailer for it simply because it's the only trailer that we can legally take the digger with.

The LM 106 trailer with the 8ft steel ramps has a dry weight of around 700kg

The LM166 has a dry weight of around 900kg with the ramps making it over the 3500kg gross we are allowed to transport with the pick-up.

I looked at the LM126 initially and found it to be the ideal size but unfortunately it just tipped the scales on the wrong side of the 3500kg mark when loaded with the Kubota

We've got a Kubota 61-3 2.5 ton digger which actually weighs 2.7 ton with no buckets. We use the LM106 trailer for it simply because it's the only trailer that we can legally take the digger with.

The LM 106 trailer with the 8ft steel ramps has a dry weight of around 700kg

The LM166 has a dry weight of around 900kg with the ramps making it over the 3500kg gross we are allowed to transport with the pick-up.

I looked at the LM126 initially and found it to be the ideal size but unfortunately it just tipped the scales on the wrong side of the 3500kg mark when loaded with the Kubota

I thought the kx61-3 was 2600kg operating weight? That's was the specs say- I'm quite interested in this digger as it's lighter than my Tak tb125 which is borderline legal on my LM106.

The Ifor LM106 I believe is the highest payload trailer that I for make- it weighs 620kg when flatbed mode with no sides,ramps or spare wheel. I use it to transport my 2.8t digger all the buckets and any thing else go in the back of the Landy and it sits nicely on the trailer, being short its pretty easy to get the load distribution right and iv never had snaking with it. If you have a lm106 with caged sides and ladder rack there are very few times I have ever needed anything bigger (apart from long timbers or pipes etc). I know if I had anything longer it would be a PITA to get into fields etc off tight Devon lanes and the like.

Thanks for the replies.

With a digger it looks a lot of weight high up on them and if things did start to get squirmy (with a blowout or poor loading), I fear it's only going to end badly.

Maybe a tri-axle is the way forward and not this 16ft twin axle I've been offered.

Which model digger is it, as many weigh more their paper specs suggest, a quick hitch and 4ft grading bucket is 100kg etc. Tri axle would be nice but not sure there is anything that will take bigger than 2.5t legally. If you want maximum payload than Bateson trailers make a stripped down plant trailer which has a 2900kg payload.

Got a 16' tilt bed here that we use for shifting plant and machinery with deck hooks for tieing down.

Also have a 12' with ramps, but tend not to put the digger on that due to laziness as the tilt bed is so much easier. Does have a higher payload though as shorter and no hydraulic lift. Used to put a Ford 3000 and saw bench on the 12'.

Both of these are twin axle for manoeuvrability, and gains a little more payload over a tri-axle.

Used to run a 16' twin axle custom build from Ifor in a previous job, again, the twin configuration was for manoeuvrability. Never had any snaking issues behind Disco 3 or the XL 5 tonne Iveco Daily, but mostly down to good loading and having the power to keep on pulling.