Sawdust on parked cars

hesslemount

A few years ago we had an angry man turn up just when we had finished chipping . He had been spraying the bonnet of his vw caddy pickup in the driveway 4 doors or so up. I told him that it was his own fault an should have sprayed it indoors and to p155 off. He then ring my boss who paid him £50.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detailing is about restoring paint, trim, glass etc to perfect showroom condition, getting a high shine, and protecting the finish with waxes and sealants. Certain things can do damage to either the finish/shine, the paint or the waxes/sealants. caw dust landing on a car won't harm it so long as its properly washed off (no gritty sponges please!) 2 stroke oil and chain oil will leave an oily residue and damage the shine, but a decent car shampoo will remove it. The oily residue might strip a sealant off, but i doubt it.

A dull detail (wash, de-tar, de-iron, clay, light polish to correct paint swirls, and application of a sealant) on a large car or a van is 2 days work and costs a couple of hundred or more. A half detail, the VERY most this van needs (all the above, but not paint polish) would be less. TBH, a wash and a top up with a quick detailer/spray on sealant would be all the van needs, £20 is a fair price for that done properly.

This is always a worry for me too, expecting a slanging match from anybody at any minute. I can't offer any legal help but just the other day we pulled up and because of the junction had to park truck and chipper near a neighbors but not blocking them in.

I knocked and told a lady that we would move if required and warned politely about noise. All good natured . We just get the greedy boards up when out comes her loud mouthed cockney partner I guess and gets right in my face saying 'I know what one of those is and you're not covering my brickweave in dust and he threatened to call police if we didn't move.

We shunted round other side of junction, three times as far to drag brash but what can you do when you want to get on.

Great comments. If I go legal I'm in for slander and public apology.

Surely you are in for 'libel' not slander, meaning a defamatory comment in written form - so presumably from the FB perspective. Slander is verbal.

My reading of this is that she is a total chancer and you have done more than most would, including myself, in the same situation.

My only cause for concern is that if as you say, it goes legal, then the offer of £20 can be construed as an admission of guilt and attempt at a pay-off, rather than the reasonable gesture it was as intended.

As I live close to the coast, the next time my car gets covered in sand/dust from the bay, I shall contact the Queen and ask if she can pay for the high-end detailing. After all, there is a reasonable and justified precedent being set here, isn't there?...