Looking at joining the logging trend [emoji16]

AdamL

Morning Adam.

I don't mean to rain on your parade twice in your first two questions but, doing an artic load of timber with just a saw and splitter is bloody hard work for little return. I had a processor, tractor loader and still found I wasn't making a decent profit.

If you look at folk on Arbtalk that do make good money from logs they have got many 10's of thousands of pounds worth of gear to reduce handling and incress through put.

You said in your other post that you want to start garden work, I think this would be the way to go. Get a trailer to tow behind your car, a mower, strimmer, hedge cutter, and what other bits you need and off you go. You'll get paid at the end of each job, so should always have a few quid to keep things moving.

Also you won't be sat with a pile of timber that probably won't be ready for sale until winter 2017.

What sort of yearly income do you think I can get doing gardens and garden clearance etc with odd tree jobs thrown in.

Will driving between jobs be a bad factor, for example charging an hourly rate yet half the day spent driving a lot of miles and realising I've only raked in £80 while used x amount of fuel?

Love this forum it's so good [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of yearly income do you think I can get doing gardens and garden clearance etc with odd tree jobs thrown in.

Will driving between jobs be a bad factor, for example charging an hourly rate yet half the day spent driving a lot of miles and realising I've only raked in £80 while used x amount of fuel?

Love this forum it's so good [emoji1360]

Only you know what you need to earn. How hungry are you to earn it?

Don't do your own jobs by the hour. Give the customer a price to complete the job, be very vague if customers ask you how long it will take.

Timing can be key. A few years ago a new housing estate was built in the next village to me, 350 houses, the local window cleaner was in there as soon as the people started moving in, he's cleans the windows on most of the houses on that estate. No travel, all profit.

I'm sure if someone would have offered grass cutting on the estate they could have a fair few customers there.

Most gardeners don't travel far, try and keep your round with in, say 5-10 miles of home.

Agree with people that it is very tight to make profit especially with a log splitter and chainsaw but still think it could be worth a go if your circumstances are good. You have to start somewhere and who is to say you can't turn it into something successful. I noticed your photo is a fruit farm and you said your a farmer in your original post. Do you own this farm?

Agree with people that it is very tight to make profit especially with a log splitter and chainsaw but still think it could be worth a go if your circumstances are good. You have to start somewhere and who is to say you can't turn it into something successful. I noticed your photo is a fruit farm and you said your a farmer in your original post. Do you own this farm?

I am self employed working on the fruit farm 80% of the year and then I go pruning fruit trees in the winter months for another farm. No I don't own the farm.

I have a Vauxhall Astra hatchback, any chance that can tow a decent trailer?

This should give you a clue - depends which model astra

Towing Capacity*Vauxhall*Astra

The towing capacity might be on the plate if you can find it, sometimes a sticker inside the door frame. Mine was a 1.2lt hatchback "city" model, 1995 - it towed like a mother - astonishing for a wee car! Bear in mind the actual towing capacity will be higher than what you can legally tow, depending on whether the trailer is braked or not. For a single axel car trailer, 750kg design gross weight, with a mower and tools etc, no problem.

I am self employed working on the fruit farm 80% of the year and then I go pruning fruit trees in the winter months for another farm. No I don't own the farm.

Ok agree with others then that buying in cordwood and selling on would be difficult to make profit on.

Interested in the fruit work because have a fruit farm and skilled pruners are hard to come by. We are a way off but might be able to put some work your way on our farm if short of work in the winter

Ok agree with others then that buying in cordwood and selling on would be difficult to make profit on.

Interested in the fruit work because have a fruit farm and skilled pruners are hard to come by. We are a way off but might be able to put some work your way on our farm if short of work in the winter

Ooo where about are you? I'm Canterbury area