Looking at joining the logging trend [emoji16]

AdamL

Hi everyone,

New to this forum. Currently a farmer but used to cut wood for a living for 8 years! Thinking of finding some space on the farm and getting an arctic load of cord in and cut up myself (chainsaw+ log splitter) and sell on.

What sort of price am I looking at for general hardwood arctic load? ash, birch, oak etc a mix of anything really?

And what price can I look to make on an arctic load? I am in south east Kent

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate. To give you a rough idea. You are looking at paying £55 per tonne for hardwood delivered currently. This does fluctuate depending on location in the country. We usually calculate that a 26 tonne load will give us 45 loose cubic metres of split logs. Worth being aware if you buy green beech or oak that it will be less. So in terms of what you will make just multiply 45 by your sale price and remember that if selling to end user it will have 5% vat on it. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions

We're pretty much the same as lancer said, we pay £58 + vat a ton delivered in but if you're using an axe and chainsaw you might be able to get lower quality cheaper stuff.

Then we get around 1.8cubic meters from a ton which we deliver in a loose load for £120 (location dependant for others) If you're not already it's worth getting vat registered as you'll be able to claim back more than you charge.

Hi mate. To give you a rough idea. You are looking at paying £55 per tonne for hardwood delivered currently. This does fluctuate depending on location in the country. We usually calculate that a 26 tonne load will give us 45 loose cubic metres of split logs. Worth being aware if you buy green beech or oak that it will be less. So in terms of what you will make just multiply 45 by your sale price and remember that if selling to end user it will have 5% vat on it. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions

Thankyou, so a round profit of £4K?

We're pretty much the same as lancer said, we pay £58 + vat a ton delivered in but if you're using an axe and chainsaw you might be able to get lower quality cheaper stuff.

Then we get around 1.8cubic meters from a ton which we deliver in a loose load for £120 (location dependant for others) If you're not already it's worth getting vat registered as you'll be able to claim back more than you charge.

Thankyou. Is business going well for you?

Obviously the wood will need to stand for a year so I will have a whole year of no income while possibly paying out to rent some land for the wood. Just working out if it's worth while.

Thankyou. Is business going well for you?

Obviously the wood will need to stand for a year so I will have a whole year of no income while possibly paying out to rent some land for the wood. Just working out if it's worth while.

Not worth the Hassle if you buying in Cord Wood and far to many Whinging customers and to many at the Log business. If you looking for extra income then use what you possibly already have setup ie Tractors grass cutting

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID

Hi everyone,

New to this forum. Currently a farmer but used to cut wood for a living for 8 years! Thinking of finding some space on the farm and getting an arctic load of cord in and cut up myself (chainsaw+ log splitter) and sell on.

What sort of price am I looking at for general hardwood arctic load? ash, birch, oak etc a mix of anything really?

And what price can I look to make on an arctic load? I am in south east Kent

Many thanks.

Morning Adam.

I don't mean to rain on your parade twice in your first two questions but, doing an artic load of timber with just a saw and splitter is bloody hard work for little return. I had a processor, tractor loader and still found I wasn't making a decent profit.

If you look at folk on Arbtalk that do make good money from logs they have got many 10's of thousands of pounds worth of gear to reduce handling and incress through put.

You said in your other post that you want to start garden work, I think this would be the way to go. Get a trailer to tow behind your car, a mower, strimmer, hedge cutter, and what other bits you need and off you go. You'll get paid at the end of each job, so should always have a few quid to keep things moving.

Also you won't be sat with a pile of timber that probably won't be ready for sale until winter 2017.

Morning Adam.

I don't mean to rain on your parade twice in your first two questions but, doing an artic load of timber with just a saw and splitter is bloody hard work for little return. I had a processor, tractor loader and still found I wasn't making a decent profit.

If you look at folk on Arbtalk that do make good money from logs they have got many 10's of thousands of pounds worth of gear to reduce handling and incress through put.

You said in your other post that you want to start garden work, I think this would be the way to go. Get a trailer to tow behind your car, a mower, strimmer, hedge cutter, and what other bits you need and off you go. You'll get paid at the end of each job, so should always have a few quid to keep things moving.

Also you won't be sat with a pile of timber that probably won't be ready for sale until winter 2017.

No problem mate that's what I want, someone to say how it is! That's what I was thinking, it's gonna take me a month if Sunday's to even prepare a decent load of logs for say 3 deliveries lol. Just testing all areas [emoji16]

Thankyou

Don't underestimate Firewood production on a large scale.

Those that make a success of it have invested a huge amount of capital, time and effort, to be able to produce a high end quality consistent product.

In order to build a customer base you need to offer something the competition cannot and you won't find that easy.

Every hour you spend on the business, wether it be processing, delivering, servicing, repairing or admin. it needs to be factored in and if you actually do this, which many don't, you will find that the margins are tight to say the least.

Spend time with someone out of your region on a desktop study before you go any further.

Good luck should you choose to persue this.