Fly tipping is encouraged round here.

Shane

How much does the private firm pay to have the tyres disposed of?

LAs rarely manage to compete well with private firms, that's why I think they should stick to doing what they do well, using taxpayers money to collect the bins and maintain the street lighting.

While we may whinge about the service sometimes, the vast majority of LAs actually do a pretty good job the majority of the time.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, it's all the dole scrounges fault, the daily mail said so.

If you squeeze the budgets for long enough, something has to give, and there is a limited amount of services that they can charge for.

Personally I'd rather they were funded properly and people didn't have to pay at point of use. I almost never use them myself, usually easier to get a skip. Probably cheaper now too.

Same here. I just hoard stuff I don't want in the corner of the garage until such a time comes that I can fill a skip.

How much does the private firm pay to have the tyres disposed of?

I don't know but they will have expertise and channels to decide whether disposal to a cement factory, re treading , recycling as tyre crumb etc are the best options without necessarilly rehandling or resorting. Mind our local place seems to stack them all in one heap.

LAs rarely manage to compete well with private firms, that's why I think they should stick to doing what they do well, using taxpayers money to collect the bins and maintain the street lighting.

As far as I know the civic amenities sites are franchised out to waste disposal firms who in turn license totters on the sites.

While we may whinge about the service sometimes, the vast majority of LAs actually do a pretty good job the majority of the time.

Yes, they have had their budgets cut along with the NHS, police, schools etc. whilst their administrative load has increased with increased regulations. At the same time commerce has become more attractive as senior management wage levels have rocketed in the larger companies.

They need to just have an open space where people come and dump hard-core and soil (in separate bays), then other people can come along and take what they need for their projects at homes. Oh hang on, HSE would have a field day with that! Also, no money for the council too. What a useless country we have!:thumbdown:

I don't know but they will have expertise and channels to decide whether disposal to a cement factory, re treading , recycling as tyre crumb etc are the best options without necessarilly rehandling or resorting. Mind our local place seems to stack them all in one heap.

As far as I know the civic amenities sites are franchised out to waste disposal firms who in turn license totters on the sites.

Yes, they have had their budgets cut along with the NHS, police, schools etc. whilst their administrative load has increased with increased regulations. At the same time commerce has become more attractive as senior management wage levels have rocketed in the larger companies.

What I'm really asking is, if you turned up at the tyre fitters with a scrap tyre, would they take it for a pound even if you didn't have the replacement fitted there? If not it isn't comparing like with like. Even if they only pay a pound to dispose (unlikely imo) the other profit making activities of the company subsidise the tyre disposal.

This is why comparing a for profit firm with a publicly funded facility doesn't make sense.

Same in Cornwall! Everyone said what the consequence would be, LA didn't heed and carried on with the plan and behold! Exponential increase in fly tipping...

Also it's not only the LA who has to clear it up.

Any landowner will have to foot the bill for the cleanup if anything is tipped on their land. It becomes industrial waste apparently.

What I'm really asking is, if you turned up at the tyre fitters with a scrap tyre, would they take it for a pound even if you didn't have the replacement fitted there? If not it isn't comparing like with like. Even if they only pay a pound to dispose (unlikely imo) the other profit making activities of the company subsidise the tyre disposal.

This is why comparing a for profit firm with a publicly funded facility doesn't make sense.

I understand. Yes mostly the tyre disposal cost was part of the new tyre and fitting transaction.

In my last year working for a small firm I looked after the workshops alongside my other duties. So for the last two years I have collected all the old scrap tyres which ended up on the site and delivered them down to our local tyre recycler by the transit load and I paid 75p for car tyres, £2 for transit sized tyres and £8 for lorry tyres, I did not buy any tyres from him.

When I unexpectedly took retirement rather than demotion I left a legacy of 1 forwarder tyre and about 8 rubber tracks from chippers which were going to cost a lot more to dispose.

As a person who works for my LA im unhappy too say that like other council's,mine is also run by officious desk jockies who prioritise justifying there own jobs and cutting back on services that need improved.

The guys and gals on the front line get the **** end of the stick and joe public pay more for less...

Too quote clint eastwood its a clusterf#@k

I don't even see how it will work - money earned compared to money spent on clearing up fly tipped rubbish!!!!

In France (or where we had a place) domestic AND commercial was free - simple as that - they know what the effect would be of charging...

It is painful sometimes in this country....

:confused1:

They need to just have an open space where people come and dump hard-core and soil (in separate bays), then other people can come along and take what they need for their projects at homes. Oh hang on, HSE would have a field day with that! Also, no money for the council too. What a useless country we have!:thumbdown:

Funnily enough when I was a kid, the local tip comprised of a yard with 6 or 8, 8 cubic yard skips on it, no staff, no sorting, and there were always as many people there picking stuff out again to reuse as there were dropping off.

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app