Laburnum...much value?

leswold

I find the same.

I've got some nice bits of mulberry that I posted up on here yesterday, v little response, I try and keep bits of unusual wood back but seems a lot of the time carvers and millers etc talk a good game but very little action! It can all go for logs from now on

i'm willing to bet that the turners that most have dealt with are old farts that expect to be given free wood.

well i'm not one of those and would happily pay for wood if it's not far away.

can i ask if the log merchants or tree surgeons are advertising the fact they are selling wood turning stock???

I have a little auction house near me and in the past they've sold a fair bit of wood for turning (probably from an old wood turner who's passed away) and plenty of people were willing to pay a good price for small pieces of wood.

There's certainly people out there willing to pay but it's getting hold of them. It might mean holding onto the wood for a while and that may not be worth it.

Has anyone tried contacting their local wood turning groups for example? I can see people not wanting to pay for any old rubbish but a decent sized piece of Laburnum should sell.

I worked for a council years ago and was also in a wood turning club. We bought in a fantastic burred elm, all around the stem and around 4m in length.

My boss gave me a price to plank it, whatever thicknesses we chose, of something stupid (£50 IIRC), but I couldn't raise enough interest at the club to purchase it. When I was collecting burrs and giving them away there were loads of takers.