New woodcut Max 3 bowl saver.

Lazurus

Its more a case of not wasting so much wood Astra. You turn the wood that would usually be hollowed out when turning a bowl can be removed in 1 piece and made into another bowl...and so on and so on.

Expensive kit lazarus?

exactly, when you get a gorgeous bit of wood you want to make the most of it as some of the more expensive ones are too good to turn into shavings.

i did most of the walnut delabodge gave me with the original bowlsaver and got 101 blanks from it rather than the 20 cut rounds i would have turned into bowls initially.

instead of just 9 big bowls i get 30 of all sizes. there is also a financial incentive as the device may cost near £400 but you get that back after coring just a dozen bowls and you can get more return for the same amount of wood.

A.jpg.39bec2416fffb6483e1ed58b61010a49.jpg

B.jpg.e09b607886b76f8bbb0ebee7ce155c88.jpg

C.jpg.ccb63c94823aa53966e266ec0e64442d.jpg

D.jpg.042acd56e95841622a76f21cb040ada8.jpg

E.jpg.92bf078176a3cd37ad756a693e19129e.jpg

F.jpg.2f3cb2fb1b466ffcf7415907a37a157a.jpg

G.jpg.0348b97d70fcba68ec43ef678fd9c529.jpg

H.jpg.763ee2f571bc50883cc705ecdb4eeb40.jpg

I.jpg.3ea4a5bd0b05bd5fd6bef17acb59d702.jpg

Apologies for going off on a tangent chaps, but I hate not understanding stuff.

Steve, in your pics it looks like you've sealed those rough shaped bowls. I'm assuming it's to slow do the drying and make it more even, but why do you only seal them in parts and not all over?

Good question, I tend to seal the end grain mostly but on a rough turned bowl I guess some bare timber needed to let the water escape, Steve more details please.

i know a bit about which timbers to be a little more careful with after nearly ten years of turning so realised that i did not need to smother the buggers in PVA and only cover the open pores in the endgrain including knots.

along with quite a few others walnut is a fairly forgiving wood in the drying process when roughed out and even on the bigger ones i was happy with leaving the face grain bare. some of the larger nests there (4 bowls) are 24" diameter and given room to move freely they generally don't crack.

what more details do you need chaps?