When will I be underpowered?

charlieb

I'm looking at ~35HP and ~50HP 4wd tractors for general forestry and estate work. I'd have a front loader either way, other implements would be winch, flail (heather cutting mostly) and small timber trailer with grab in due course. No ploughing.

I'm leaning more towards the 35HP for maneuverability, etc, but a bit worried I'll be underpowered an annoying amount. Question: what tasks am I likely to regret going for the smaller machine for? Occasional earth moving or v heavy logs, yes. Anything else?

35 is way underpowered for all those tasks. we run a 3720 john deere 45hp turbo with their fancy electronics load match stuff and its still underpowered. cant lift big weights etc.

away hopefully to purchase 88hp valtra to get properly in game, you should manage with 70hp, tried a 70hp kubota this last week.

We run a compact that the same body can have engines from 35-55 hp we went for the 55hp and it has done all that has been asked of it and more. Not used a winch or flail but it pulls a 6 tonne Mowi timber trailer fully loaded (not on roads) This is the toughest job we give it but if you are in no rush just use the lower gears and it gets the job done. Loader is rated 500kg but know it it's lifted more. The rear lifting power has been the only slightly limiting factor. It can just mange our large splitter which is nearly 500 kg but it does lurch about a bit when raising and lowering.

I have an agt 835 which is 37hp. I run a 35m winch, zanon tfx 1300 flail and a skidding grapple. I pull a small timber trailer. My work is a bit niche as I do low impact stuff in urban woodlands. For me manoeuvrability was the biggest factor hence my decision for articulated steer as well.

For most of what I do 37hp is fine but when flailing bramble/light undergrowth an extra 15-20hp could let me run in a higher gear or a slightly wider flail (jump from a 1.30 to a 1.5m) to increase productivity. If it am going up hill and flailing you really feel the power issue. Obviously you can plan around this but if it's a regular thing more power is the obvious answer.

My opinion is go for the biggest machine your situations allows for. If you are self propelled and not trailering it around I'd go for a small 'full size' machine around 70-80hp over a large compact with 50hp.

I run a 60hp Massey with 6ton timber trailer, great size for woodland work, turns on a sixpence, but has the extra grunt that the smaller tractors seem to lack. Always go bigger than you might need as I struggle with some stuff. Those little tractors grip really well though!