Current oak prices

mr kipling

Maybe but I am not a chippie this is a hobby but just love messing about with tools really the architect designed the garage and said I needed 3.6m for the rafters as I was just getting a cutting list together I'm not in much of a rush and learning as I go, if the tree is to expensive I can wait till another comes along or bite the bullet if desperate. Just studying joints now most of the timber is in place as I have not framed anything before. Although I did buy a chain morticer a couple of years ago ready for this part so that should make life easier.

Cheers Chris

Single trees can be tremendously variable in what people think they are worth.

At the one extreme, I have met people who believe an oak of about 2' diameter x 15' length must be worth thousands, at the other extreme you can get paid to take them away! Getting them for free is quite common if you wait - they are nuisance to most home owners and there is a lot of ringing up, carrying and splitting if they go for firewood - there are easier options.

One thing I have found is that, as a potential buyer, there is no way to change someone's mind about what they are worth. Anyone who thinks their tree is worth thousands will keep thinking this, even if you show them prices. It's simply not worth trying to convince them - leave a number and sometimes when it has been hanging around for months and getting in the way they may eventually ring you - usually not but it has happened.

Alec

Well I'm in no real hurry been planning this for a few years an only just submitted planning application to council will wait and see if I can get a freebe or cheap if not Woodyard price

Cheers Chris

Edited by mr kipling
Flingers not typing right ( doh )

Every couple of months or so I pass a house in the countryside on my way to visit a mate. There is a big garden with a 3' plus dia beech which was windblown about 5 years ago. Lovely straight beech, sitting on the deck, rotting away. We did offer to plank it up and leave the branches for firewood for him. He wanted £1500 for it and our response was no chance as we get loads of trees for free and we would be doing him a favour as he didnt have the capabilities to cut it up himself. I wouldnt even touch it for nothing now as there will be lots of rot in it and way past spalting stage. It would have been nice to mill up when it came down but I have better things to do now and a long list of trees to attack with my alaskan mill. Bet his wife is giving him a right ear bashing every time she is in the garden as apart from the beech tree it looks like a Chelsea flower show exhibit!