Advise for future travel to Scotland

easy-lift guy

May is probably the best month, not too cold, good chance of dry weather, still snow on the hills (looks Nice) less trouble with midges.

Things to see & do?

West Coast is the gateway to the inner and outer Hebrides

After leaving Glasgow you get Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Fort William

Things to see around Ft William,

Ben Nevis, Britains highest mountain

Lots of Commando related stuff, they trained in the area during WW2.

Display in Ft William Museum, Monument near Spean Bridge, display in Spean Bridge Hotel, all free.

Moving up the West Coast takes you to the Isle of Skye, used to be a ferry now there's a bridge, Once on Skye you can take a ferry to the outer Hebridean islands. Keep up the West until you reach the top at Durness, go east to reach John o Groats, mainland Britains most northerly point, back down the East coast to Inverness, go westish again to reach Aviemore and the Cairngorms National Nature reserve, go east again to Braemar and Balmoral Castle, South again to Perth and then Edinburgh, the capital and Home to Edinburgh Castle (surprisingly) and loads of other stuff.

Alternatively fly into Inverness and do it all in reverse. :biggrin:

:thumbup1:

Second these suggestions....

and mote generally, consider air B&B!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree about late April. Go as far north west as possible. OK maybe not the bombing practice range at Cape Wrath, but north and west for raw nature and bracing weather. The Assynt area and Torridon are special. East is drier, so are the people. Picturesque, but heaving with people most of whom are trying to sell souvenirs.

I have two bees in my bonnet - the weather and the dreadful housing. Can you tell?!?!

I agree wholeheartedly with the housing, commonly known as 'hideous carbuncles'.

I'm trying to redress the balance by rebuilding a traditional croft in Caithness with local stone and to be faithful to its original build methods.