Emigrating

RC0

This thread is only making me depressed!!

Interesting the views here a real contrast between people that 'can't' leave and those that have or are aspiring too.

Spent a month travelling round California not so much the south but up west coast and up the north. Not so keen on the built up areas but mountainous areas especially lake tahoe- now that is a place i would like to spend a bit more time. It is hard to get a feel for a place unless you spend a long time there but i was glad to be back home.

I have travelled a fair bit and worked in Germany a couple of times , although I enjoyed it all as an adventure I do not wish to live anywhere else than where I am now ( Devon ) unless of course I was very rich !! I love the area I live in and was born here , have family / friends etc .... but most of all i love the culture of my land , the history , grand old houses ,castles etc , the great variety of landscapes so close together , music , art ,sport etc the lack of extremes in weather , the enormous range of opportunities available but especially the sense of humour which is so special and unequaled any where else .( just search some old threads on here for example !!)

I have travelled a fair bit and worked in Germany a couple of times , although I enjoyed it all as an adventure I do not wish to live anywhere else than where I am now ( Devon ) unless of course I was very rich !! I love the area I live in and was born here , have family / friends etc .... but most of all i love the culture of my land , the history , grand old houses ,castles etc , the great variety of landscapes so close together , music , art ,sport etc the lack of extremes in weather , the enormous range of opportunities available but especially the sense of humour which is so special and unequaled any where else .( just search some old threads on here for example !!)

Ha the missus has relatives in Oshawa we visited a few years back, gorgeous part of the world but i did miss the history of Blighty😂 their "history" would be recent to us lot... but i do still think about a move on occasion..

I lived near a town called Macclesfield for 10 years prior to moving. so, Id work mainly around Cheshire and Greater Manchester.

I think the sheer intensity is what done me in last week....just so many people and cars. And nomatter how fast I drove, it was never enough for the 5 cars directly behind me.

I read too the posts about the ever changing and increasing red tape that the lads here have to budget for just to work lawfully....and its mental, absolutely. I think you have to be away from it to see how ridiculous its become. Sorry to sound negative, but from an outside perspective nowdays.

I had to smile at the mention of never being quite fast enough in the car, for the loons behind you. i've been driving here since '87 and I've never known it all to be as much of a racetrack as the past few years. How we have accident stats as relatively low as we have, is beyond me. Credit to you for making the move, i've not been to Canada yet but it sounds fantastic. A far better life for your kids, too

Here's a view from the top of a Doug fir more recently....pretty typical of the area. It's a really nice environment to live and work.

Like Scotland only more and bigger. Looking at the population of the PNW states and what you say about Vancouver island puts in perspective just how overcrowded we are in the UK, even in 'exotic postcode' land where I am.

Good post Reg.

I've travelled a bit, mainly Europe and Oz, but I've got too many mates and family to think about a permanent move.

If my little rural corner of Kent gets too crowded I'll move back to where I'm from in Northumberland, which makes BC look like a metropolis!

Glad you've made it work mate, but with your guts and endeavour you'd build a decent life anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I lived and worked in the USA for three years 99-2002 I loved it worked with some great climbers learned allot made some life long friends and never wanted to Cum home i nearly didn't was all set to get married but bottled it and came back regretted it for years but now I have family and live in a lovely little city called York I wouldn't want to go back in do work in Europe still frequently and as for my opinion on living there instead of hear no thanks it's OK for a visit and work but not permanently

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Same everywhere on that one mate.

A 2 man team can knock out 4 £200 birch kills in a day, but once you start pricing the bigger jobs clients start sucking their teeth.

And they get every Tom, Dick and Harry to price it, so its quite cut throat.

• 5 years later...
39 minutes ago, geune said:

It is interesting to read this discussion taking into account that I'm currently trying to receive British citizenship. I failed the Citizen Test last month and I'm currently practicing at home on this resource in the hope to pass it on the second try). I decided to move to the UK to be with my loved woman and create a family with her here (she doesn't want to leave). Though maybe I'd have another opinion if I tried living/working in other countries and knew what to compare. 

It's good that I got British Citizenship by birth as I've taken 2 tests from your link and failed both. I was consistent at least!

I'll be honest a lot of those questions make little sense to me, but good luck to you.

Screenshot_20220410-215706.thumb.png.d98c209fb4c432604e8167131394c8bb.png

46 minutes ago, geune said:

It is interesting to read this discussion taking into account that I'm currently trying to receive British citizenship. I failed the Citizen Test last month and I'm currently practicing at home on this resource in the hope to pass it on the second try). I decided to move to the UK to be with my loved woman and create a family with her here (she doesn't want to leave). Though maybe I'd have another opinion if I tried living/working in other countries and knew what to compare. 

Where are you moving from?

FYI it's shit here, i can't wait to leave.