Emigrating

RC0

Well I love good old blighty!! As Oscar said "To be born an English man is to hold the winning ticket in the lottery of life"

I live about a mile from where I was born.

Been married 26 years, 4 great children. We live near both sets of parents, they were a great help baby siting and we are beginning to return the favour as they all get older. My mother fell down the stair last year breaking her neck, leaving her a quadriplegic, we visit her every week, just to help make her life bearable. I would hate to be the other end of the country, never mind another country.

I like living in an area I know very well, seeing familiar faces every day.

Each to their own and all that :001_smile:

I am also with Huck .

I appreciate that there are many places that have just become too busy, too competitive and expensive. I visit many of these places, the worst being London which is a foreign country to me.

Every time I return to the wilds of Lincolnshire the traffic thins out, the air is fresh, the people sparse........ bit like British Columbia I suspect!

We seem to be off the beaten track, deemed undesirable, flat, desolate and long may that opinion last. We do not want to become popular.

No neighbours, nearest village has a population of 30. Bliss!

So sorry to hear about your mam, Dave. Terrible bad luck and outcome.

Nice sentiment from Oscar....but probably doesn't carry much weight outside of the UK.

There are lots of positives about the old country, I agree....but when you've been out of it for several years, you see it in a different light. Great Britain doesn't seem so Great anymore. More specifically comparing what it was, to what it is now, and perhaps where it's heading. Even in my short lifetime, I think I was more optimistic a couple of decades back....from an occupational standpoint as juse one example.

It is a big and often complicated deal moving countries, no matter how near or far. There's loads to consider and deal with. To take it all in can seem quite overwhelming when you start the process. But, it's amazing how you can cope with things by just putting one foot in front of the other. You get there, eventually. And if we can do it, then anyone here can too, if its what you want. That's why I started the thread, to say that.

Good post Reg. I would like to emigrate, but will have to be when the kids are older now! Really not sure where i'd want to go though.

If you wait until the kids are older you will find yourself just as tied to them when grandchildren come along. Unless of course your kids decide to emigrate without you.

I know this because i have experience of both.

I left the uk for Canada, with my wife and daughter over 5 years ago now. Id lived and worked in other countries previously, but only ever on a temporary basis.

None of it is easy....the preparation, the move and re-settlement thereafter. I carried a lot of guilt with me thereafter, for separating people and leaving others behind. Then theres all the practical things like re-integrating, getting established and keeping your head above water. The move also put an enormous strain on the marriage.... somehow, we stuck with it though.

I think throughout it all, a big part of what kept me focused has been the welfare and future of my daughter, who was two and a bit at the time. I knew deep down shes better off here.

I came back for a brief visit 2 years ago, and, it felt good. I realised a lot of stuff Id missed.

I just got back a couple days ago from another visit. But it was a completely different experience. Whilst in England more recently, I felt absolutely nothing for the place....no connection at all. I had a good time, don't get me wrong....but at the same time I couldn't wait to leave. I was surprised. Ill always be British, but I hope I never have to move back there.

I'm not saying my life is any better than a single person here....but I was thinking about this while I was over there, and, if I had to name my price for giving up what I have here in BC and moving back, honestly....I wouldn't do it for any less than Ten Million pounds. Seriously. I don't care if I have to work on trees out here until the day I die....rather that than be a millionaire back in England.

Every bodies different I know....and it often depends on your circumstances and where your priorities lie. I suppose what I m saying is that if you've got the incline and the means to do it, then you should. Because it might turn out to be the best thing you ever did. I also think its better to try and fail, than not try at all. You may never get another chance.

You've moved to a British colony, well done, that's why we set places like Canada, New Zealand and Australia up, to give British citizens options.

Well done on moving to BRITISH Columbia.

You've moved to a British colony, well done, that's why we set places like Canada, New Zealand and Australia up, to give British citizens options.

If only it was that easy..Moving to another commonwealth country is not easy.But I'm grateful for my parents to getting me dual citizenship.

It actually took us 4 years to get processed, because we were British. We were basically treading water in England for 4 years waiting for approval. However, if you are from, say, Ghana and many othe countries alike....it takes 8 weeks. The same process. So, being British turned out to be a real handicap. I guess the Canadian government don't believe in Oscars quote either.

Edited by RC0