Emigrating

RC0

Nice post, my Mrs and I have a little boy of 16months and another on the way. We're both 24. Were desperate to get on a plane out of here but are waiting till we've bought a house that we can rent out while we're away so we have something to fall back on with the kids. Getting a mortgage when your self employed isn't as simple as I first thought it might be.

I'm a freelance climber for 90% of the time starting to get a steady trickle of my own stuff coming in. It's hard not to commit to setting myself up properly and buying chipper. I just know that if a do I'll never be able to leave, the better money, my passion for tree work and sense of pride in a job well done can be an addictive combination.

Just know that if we don't leave in the next 2-3 years we never will, she'd go mental and climbing those big trees in oz, nz and Canada has been a dream of mine since the beginning.

You just keep posting those vids reg, keep the dream alive in my head for me, at least for now;)

I read too the posts about the ever changing and increasing red tape that the lads here have to budget for just to work lawfully....and its mental, absolutely. I think you have to be away from it to see how ridiculous its become. Sorry to sound negative, but from an outside perspective nowdays.

You don't need to be away from it to see.....it is totally ridiculous. Even working lawfully you are still worry about getting bent over by HSE and/or lawyers if an employee decides to have a dumbass moment, because it's always considered to be the employers fault.

This country is quickly going down the pan. They can't build fast enough to house the 100,000's net immigration and government deny that this it the reason that infrastructure, policing and the NHS are unable the cope. Booked a doctors appointment recently, for a waiting time of over three weeks! Criminals are having a hay day because they know that there will be no serious retribution.

It may get a little better now that we will be leaving the EU but I doubt it, the damage has already been done.

I asked my wife several years ago if she would emigrate to Canada with me but I got a firm no.

Totally agree with your post Reg, there is a lot of world of there and for the tree climbing type there are must more suited countries, spent 3 years in NZ, one year in Auckland just another city and now 2 years in the Wairarapa living rurally.. Id never move back to the UK or a big city again I reckon but who knows what life will bring..

Lived abroad for a while in my 20s and liked it as such. But the reason for me being there, was not my choice. I was there to please others. If it had been my choice for my reasons, I may well have stayed there.

Lived in a number of places around the UK. And there are definitely some places I liked more than others. That has something to do with the job I was doing at the time, something to do with the people around me and the scenery & quality of life. Some places were living to work, others working to live; and one or two got the balance just right.

My present situation is not what I thought I would have chosen but I am obligated by position in family and I chose to abide by this obligation. So while I will contentedly remain, I also understand, that at this point in my life, (for an unknown period of time) I cannot move on from where I am.

I know all that is vague but it covers the basics, without being specific.

Edited by TGB

You don't need to be away from it to see.....it is totally ridiculous.

Even working lawfully you are still worry about getting bent over by HSE and/or lawyers if an employee decides to have a dumbass moment, because it's always considered to be the employers fault.

It may get a little better now that we will be leaving the EU but I doubt it, the damage has already been done.

Sadly I doubt it'll get any better, how many organisations/bodies/associations are there currently related to the forestry/arb industry before you even get to the various government HSE bodies, what do they actually do for you? do you actually benefit in any way from their existence or do they simply put stumbling blocks in your way while directly and/or indirectly costing you money or are they simply self serving?

Who called for them to be set up? the industry itself? or did they set themselves up as guardians and sell the idea to the industry on what could loosely be described as health and safety blackmail?

How many of those making decisions that effect us have actually worked in the forestry/arb industry?

Whilst France is hardly what I'd term 'emigrating', I have achieved far more here than back in the U.K.

I'm an easy day travel back to Portsmouth but it might as well be 4000kms as I only visit twice a year if that.

Now married, 2 kids and a healthy business, it never crosses my mind to return to live in the U.K.

I miss 'Home' though...

I miss my family of course, cycle club runs, friends, tea rooms and pubs on a Sunday.

But life here is good and the U.K remains a place for holidays only.

Ty

I lived near a town called Macclesfield for 10 years prior to moving. so, Id work mainly around Cheshire and Greater Manchester.

I think the sheer intensity is what done me in last week....just so many people and cars. And nomatter how fast I drove, it was never enough for the 5 cars directly behind me.

I read too the posts about the ever changing and increasing red tape that the lads here have to budget for just to work lawfully....and its mental, absolutely. I think you have to be away from it to see how ridiculous its become. Sorry to sound negative, but from an outside perspective nowdays.

One of the first most original threads I've seen in a while!

Where we live it's the same vibe - people are uptight, in a rush, trying to better their lives, irritable...

On a plus point we do seem to get stuff done! As inefficient as we are we are driven and more efficient than a lot of other countries... (IMO that is).

Often thought of moving or at least living half in one country and half in the UK - not sure how practical that is though...

Not easy and good on you for taking the plunge and making it work.

Sadly I doubt it'll get any better, how many organisations/bodies/associations are there currently related to the forestry/arb industry before you even get to the various government HSE bodies, what do they actually do for you? do you actually benefit in any way from their existence or do they simply put stumbling blocks in your way while directly and/or indirectly costing you money or are they simply self serving?

Who called for them to be set up? the industry itself? or did they set themselves up as guardians and sell the idea to the industry on what could loosely be described as health and safety blackmail?

How many of those making decisions that effect us have actually worked in the forestry/arb industry?

Agree with a lot of that, imo the organisations are good for the benefit of their club/franchise but on a day to day basis have very little positive effect on 99% of tree workers.