Fungus on Apple and Crab apple trees

David Dobedoe

https://goo.gl/photos/VaEcbjcUw8sSp8bQ9

The above link should enable you all to see some fungus(?) on some apple and crab apple trees.

I suspect clearing some space around the trees would be a good first move. I am under the impression that following that it would be sensible to spray with some fungicide.

Can anybody educate me further and confirm or otherwise my thinking?

Assuming Fungicide is a good thing to do, any recommendations?

Many thanks

David

It looks like woolly aphid rather than a fungus.

Still a good idea to clear around it as it helps things find and eat the aphids.

It's late in the year for it, so it will soon die away but the aphids will overwinter. It's also a bit late for the predators to be around so I might be inclined to do something about them, although earlier in the year I generally just leave them alone and they get eaten soon enough.

There are insecticides available, even without PA1/6, from the garden centre, but whilst it is no longer allowed as an insecticide, coincidentally if you like to keep your trees nice and clean, a good wash with soft soap solution might coincidentally kill off the aphids....:001_smile:

Alec

It looks like woolly aphid rather than a fungus.

Still a good idea to clear around it as it helps things find and eat the aphids.

It's late in the year for it, so it will soon die away but the aphids will overwinter. It's also a bit late for the predators to be around so I might be inclined to do something about them, although earlier in the year I generally just leave them alone and they get eaten soon enough.

There are insecticides available, even without PA1/6, from the garden centre, but whilst it is no longer allowed as an insecticide, coincidentally if you like to keep your trees nice and clean, a good wash with soft soap solution might coincidentally kill off the aphids....:001_smile:

Alec

I agree it does look like woolly aphid. Even if you purchase insecticide for a garden centre, I think if you use them for commercial purpose you still need pa1/pa6.

You can also buy commercial based soap products this to. They work on contact so you need to give the tree a good soaking.

Even if you purchase insecticide for a garden centre, I think if you use them for commercial purpose you still need pa1/pa6.

Yes, you do, but if they are your own trees, or you don't have a commercial relationship with the owner then you are fine. Still a good idea to read the instructions and do it properly, but soap solution (ie washing the trees..) is probably the most benign approach.

Alec