stihl 362 broken conrod

Skyveiw

hello

a Friend given a chainsaw to see if i can do anything with but i am stuck. So they try to change the piston (with it still in chainsaw) and they broken conrod in half. so my question is how do i get the flywheel and clutch off to replace crankshaft?

skyview

hello

a Friend given a chainsaw to see if i can do anything with but i am stuck. So they try to change the piston (with it still in chainsaw) and they broken conrod in half. so my question is how do i get the flywheel and clutch off to replace crankshaft?

skyview

I broke one on an 028 and farmer rod on here took it for parts as the repair can be uneconomic, so I gave up .

I'm surprised no one has commented yet but remember a little knowledge can be a bad thing in that it gets a bit difficult and expensive if it goes wrong.

You need to know that the clutch is undone in a clockwise direction, the opposite to normal threads and you will need to stop the crank rotating. You then need to remove the oil pump. On the other side you need to get the flywheel free from its taper and then will need a gizmo to drive the two crank case halves apart evenly.

There's a catch 22 here in that if the saw is valuable enough to be worth fixing I would pass the job on to someone knowledgeable and well equipped enough to do it, whilst I might split a saw of less value I doubt I'd bother to put it back together again as the parts costs can exceed the value of the saw.

The cost of the crank will be high unless you have a donor machine. High is around £265 inc VAT so factor that in before going any further.

I have no idea how they managed to snap a rod as they are designed to take a lot of pressure but that is history.

Work out the costs of replacement parts and go from there. Depending on how tight the bearings are in the cases and on the crankshaft depends on the pullers/splitters you need. I sometimes get just the crankcases and parts in from customers who are trying to keep costs down.

The job can be anything from simple to an absolute bitch. On a relatively new machine it should be that bit easier.

i think it got a tat impatience when chaining the piston

well he paid 100 for machicne so i think it might just be worth while if i can split it what type of puller do you need for flywheel i try usually trick of a screwdriver behind and taping the crank but nothing moving

The cost of the crank will be high unless you have a donor machine. High is around £265 inc VAT so factor that in before going any further..

...and with a replacement basic saw without bar and chain coming in at £470 without all the labour.

Three weeks ago I would have given the OP £100 as is just for the bits as I needed a replacement fuel tank and throttle trigger bits.