Samurai Saws

sime42

Hi all,

I spent an interesting day at the APF at Ragley a couple of weeks ago. Whilst there I was drawn into the Samurai pruning saws stand. They were offering a Silky Zubat equivalent saw for £20 and a spare blade for £10. Since I was planning on getting a spare blade for my silky anyway I couldn't resist the bargain.

My question is;- does anyone have any experience or opinions of these saws? I've not tried mine yet. I've always been very happy with the performance and durability of Silky, but they are too expensive. Since these Samurais are less than half the price they must surely be a serious contender.

Any thoughts? Are Silky really worth it?

Ta

Simon

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Some good feedback there. It looks like I've not completely wasted my money so that's reassuring. I still haven't tried mine yet as waiting for my Silky to get too blunt, which seems to take forever! So I guess that says a lot,

Just noticed this thread.I have always championed Silky Saws for a reason...Easily my favourite cutting tool (with my E-Saw a close second) I have tried Samurai a couple of times in the past and they had a terrible cutting action....both bent....and snapped. Silky and Samurai are poles apart in terms of quality and ability in my opinion

Hi all,

I spent an interesting day at the APF at Ragley a couple of weeks ago. Whilst there I was drawn into the Samurai pruning saws stand. They were offering a Silky Zubat equivalent saw for £20 and a spare blade for £10. Since I was planning on getting a spare blade for my silky anyway I couldn't resist the bargain.

My question is;- does anyone have any experience or opinions of these saws? I've not tried mine yet. I've always been very happy with the performance and durability of Silky, but they are too expensive. Since these Samurais are less than half the price they must surely be a serious contender.

Any thoughts? Are Silky really worth it?

Ta

Simon

I have used these saws for a few years now and are as near a silky as you can get for no were near the price...the build quality and blade have improved over the years without over pricing them selfs. I found a supplier who used to be a tree surgeon who always used silky saws but changed to samurai He then retired and was so impressed with the saws he is now selling them. I would never knock silky saws as they are very very good have had a hold on the market for a while.but samurai are as good if not better in someway for far less money.fab looking saw,fab cutting blade.just try one and see for yourself.

I've used them for several years. Scabbards are generally their weak point but they fit into my old Silky scabbards.

They are half the price of Silky but i certainly don't think that they are half the quality of Silky.

Ahh up wolfie..good to see you at the APF and to meet your lad. Did you get your chipper home ok and how's it been?

Ahh up wolfie..good to see you at the APF and to meet your lad. Did you get your chipper home ok and how's it been?

Yes mate, got it back home by 9pm after a quick maccyD's near Kettering. Really chuffed with it, nice clean chipper in perfect working order except the lightboard, which has now been changed to LED.

I'm definitely up for camping at Cutters and Climbers next year but don't you have to be entered into a comp to be able to camp? Maybe we should start a vets climbing comp - for a laugh.