Short bar on a 70cc

stihl fan

Thanks all for the replies ,seems like it may not be such a bad idea after all. I just wanted to make the most out it till I get the funds to get a smaller saw

considering

550xp , echo 501sx or a stihl 261c.

The sprocket is a 7 at the moment can this be used with the 15" bar ?

Or is the 8 essential to make the change over? I am assuming the 8 will increase the speed to ludicrous speed!

The bar he offered me was a Oregon Powerlite 73.

Spud for me to find a dealer here with a tacho will be easier said than done,

will the 7 sprocket therefore be safer than 8 if I am to avoid over cooking it?

Thanks all for the replies ,seems like it may not be such a bad idea after all. I just wanted to make the most out it till I get the funds to get a smaller saw

considering

Or is the 8 essential to make the change over? I am assuming the 8 will increase the speed to ludicrous speed!

You are less likely to " over cook it " with an 8 pin as it will increase the chain speed but not te engine speed ( in fresh air ) but when you put it in the cut it will tend to slow the engine a bit more as it a taller gearing .

considering

If all else fails, locate a screwdriver in the H screw slot and turn it anticlockwise 1/4 turn or as far as it will go if the limiters are fitted. It will help the saw from damaging itself.

The 8 pin thinking is that the shorter bar will need less torque due to the length of the bar so fitting an 8 pin gives more chain speed that will make the saw faster in the cut. Fitting an 8 pin on a longer bar would normally make it boggy but on a short bar, the power you have on tap is enough to keep up speed in the cut.

• 2 months later...

Ok picked up a Oregon pack (15" bar with two chains) and ordered an 8 pin powermate. Running fine at the moment with the 7-pin.

The problem is I may have been a bit quick off the mark, picking this all in one pack.

The bar is a Pro-am (158SFHD009)and according to Oregon web site this is rated for (41cc-57cc) for 16-20" bar!! hindsight a is great thing.

They have Pro-lite (158SLHD009)bars too which are rated for saw (38-65cc) which is nearer to where I should be.

Is the pro-am bar safe to use? the chains that came with it look like semi chisel.

It would appear the prolite has a 5 rivet nose sprocket,the proam has 4 rivets.

There fore I would expect the prolite to have a stronger bearing.

I've been using my 365sp today with a 56dl 15" prolite bar , LGX chain (rakers 30 thou )and an 8pin sprocket.The usable length of that bar is only 12 ".

I would not expect your Proam sprocket to last very long at all , with the extra power and speed of a 372xp - if your's is the equivalent Jonsered.