Large Walnut - milled value

morten

I have been asked to take down a large walnut tree, which seems healthy. I plan on doing it in November to have the moisture content down a little.

DBH is about 120 cm and the stem is about 4 metres before it branches into three.

I plan on milling the stem into slabs using an Alaskan CSM and selling about half the slabs off freshly cut, and store the other half for future use/sale when dried.

In another (local) arborist forum, I have asked if anyone might be interested in having some slabs, and that generated a lot of interest.

Now comes the tricky part – what is it worth? Provided the brown core is healthy and without shake, what would a reasonable price be for slabs (2" - 3" thick). I am looking for a guide price per volume of the "good brown stuff" - hoppus foot or cubic metre, whichever is the norm.

Would the value increase if I managed to quarter saw the stem, or are through-and-through slabs more attractive to buyers?

Due to the weight of the slabs, I would most likely make 2 metre length slabs.

Any suggestions on how to handle this monster? It is definitely time to get that auxiliary oiler going. And I might even use this opportunity to get an MS880 for this job (no point in suggesting a Husky 3120, as I am committed to STIHL), my old faithful MS660 is going to be out of breath with this.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mill it at the full 4m length as this will give more uses for the final article.

one that size should be possibly milled by bandsaw as chains are going to waste alot of potentially good walnut.

get any branches to a woodturner.

No room for getting access with bandmill or forwarder, so CSM is my only option. Getting a crane in will be too costly, I think.

My only problem milling full length is handling the slabs that would approach 300 kg. May consider 2.5 m and 1.5 m lengths to be able to satisfy different needs.

Any idea about what I should be asking for freshly milled slabs (provided no rot or shake and 80 cm+ dark heartwood)?

I already have woodturners queueing up :thumbup1:

:beerglass:

You in Copenhagen Morten?

There MUST be a cracking little bar somewhere in that fine city that would like a new bar top??

Beer for a life time!!

:beerchug:

Yup, a few miles from the centre of Copenhagen. Lifetime supply of free beer sounds distinctly unhealthy. But an interesting proposition nonetheless! :beerglass: :beerglass: :beerglass: :beerglass: :beerglass: :beerglass: :beerglass: :beerglass:

Full length boards would be heavy, but it's possible. We've done oak of similar size and you can carry it with four people, drag it with two, particularly if you put it on wheels. A couple of wheels on a short axle and enough blocks to rest the plank clear of the wheels is all it takes.

Is it possible to mill the lot, slide it to one side and then go back with some people to shift it, rather than having them hanging around for the day?

Alec

Full length boards would be heavy, but it's possible. We've done oak of similar size and you can carry it with four people, drag it with two, particularly if you put it on wheels. A couple of wheels on a short axle and enough blocks to rest the plank clear of the wheels is all it takes.

Is it possible to mill the lot, slide it to one side and then go back with some people to shift it, rather than having them hanging around for the day?

Alec

Yes, that sounds like the best plan. Two man operation while milling. Possibly using winches for moving the slabs away. Might get an ATV in for moving the slabs to the (temporary) storage position.