Anyone here own a sea boat?

karl1991

I'm looking to buy a 14-18ft dory to do some sea fishing with. Ideally this size due to being able to be tow rather than store at a marina. Just wondered if anyone owned any boat and could give me some pointers on the requirements ie insurance, operator ticket etc

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Arbtalk mobile app

I own a 2.8 metre SIB (basically, a RIB with a sectional Aluminium floor and an inflatable V-keel) and power it with a Parsun 9.8hp 4 stroke. I chose this because I can easily launch and retrieve it single handedly. If you plan to fish on your own, bear this in mind. There's nothing worse than planning a days fishing with a friend who will help you launch a heavier boat to be let down on the morning!

On the safety side, you could do an RYA powerboat course. It is imperative though that you do take the one day radio operators course and carry at least a hand held VHF. Personally, I never leave shore without a lifejacket, no matter how calm. I have a PLB attached in case I fall overboard and cannot get back in the boat. I also carry a set of Inshore flares too, you can't be too careful out there!

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll love it!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a 2.8 metre SIB (basically, a RIB with a sectional Aluminium floor and an inflatable V-keel) and power it with a Parsun 9.8hp 4 stroke. I chose this because I can easily launch and retrieve it single handedly. If you plan to fish on your own, bear this in mind. There's nothing worse than planning a days fishing with a friend who will help you launch a heavier boat to be let down on the morning!

On the safety side, you could do an RYA powerboat course. It is imperative though that you do take the one day radio operators course and carry at least a hand held VHF. Personally, I never leave shore without a lifejacket, no matter how calm. I have a PLB attached in case I fall overboard and cannot get back in the boat. I also carry a set of Inshore flares too, you can't be too careful out there!

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll love it!

Good advice. Sounds like a good all-rounder.

codlasher

I had a rinker 232 for several years with 5 litre mercruiser duo prop started off wakeboarding but moved onto fishing with it it was not all that practical but at 50 mph got you out to the wrecks and back quick smart had bass over 10 lb conger over 40lb an loads of cod and pollock, used to launch from rye harbour. Sold it when kids came along but have been thinking of a boat share with a mate on an arvor as had one previously and a very capable fishing platform.

As said in previous posts get all your safety equipment and keep it in good order,it's a horrible feeling breaking down out there. Stay safe

Chris