Best mower for long wet grass

miker

We recently bought a used Etesia PBTS (Briggs n Stratton engine) self propelled walk behind, width of cut is about 17" or 18" I do believe.

On its first outing on our farm it had to cut exactly what you are describing (and worse).... very long unmanaged wet grass mixed in with clumpy weeds. 'Twas raining whilst I cut it.

I set it to the highest cut setting and it chomped through it way, way better than I was expecting it to do. The only thing to watch is that when the collection box is full it needs emptying exactly when the 'full' indicator on the grass box says STOP. If you carry on, even for a bit.... it will clog the blades. Simple enough to clear though, just means bending down and scooping out the grass.

We don't have a blower so blowing the water off the grass wasn't an option.

Obviously any mower is going to cut & pick-up better in the dry so if you can choose a dry day, or at least a non-raining day then that'd be much less effort.

Worth noting the grass box isn't huge so expect lots of emptiying when cutting long grass.

Seems very good on fuel economy too.

Hope this helps.

cheers, Steve

p.s.... the mower is a touch under £1k brand new and we got ours in perfect condition/ 2 years old for £300.

Edited by SteveA

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my tip, wait till its dry then cut it......

late afternoon after the suns bin at it..

long grass is unlikely to dry out this time of year the dew is heavy and and the sun just doesn't dry it out enough before the next dew or even worse a day of rain !

The only chance of dry grass is (or drier grass) if it is cut short and left to dry out

long grass is unlikely to dry out this time of year the dew is heavy and and the sun just doesn't dry it out enough before the next dew or even worse a day of rain !

The only chance of dry grass is (or drier grass) if it is cut short and left to dry out

Well, I suppose I aught to have said, wait for a good windy day to dry it out then...

anyways, sunny day cuttin sure beats cuttin in the rain... which is what I was gettin at...

i bought a etesia pro 51 with the 6hp engine in it for £200 off ebay a few months back to give one a go, best mower i have ever used. will cut and collect long wet grass all day long. its 10 years old but still works like new. All the new mowers i have just sit in the garage now, etesia does the job of all of them. Looking to replace my kubota ride on with a etesia now too. Cant say enough how good etesia kit is, the pro 51goes from tackling tall thick wet grass one hour to striped lawns the next and gives a stunning finish too.

i bought a etesia pro 51 with the 6hp engine in it for £200 off ebay a few months back to give one a go, best mower i have ever used. will cut and collect long wet grass all day long. its 10 years old but still works like new. All the new mowers i have just sit in the garage now, etesia does the job of all of them. Looking to replace my kubota ride on with a etesia now too. Cant say enough how good etesia kit is, the pro 51goes from tackling tall thick wet grass one hour to striped lawns the next and gives a stunning finish too.

I'm almost tempted to get one myself now.. :thumbup1:

Typical of many a care home. That focuses on budgets that they overlook things then have to spend more.

As said hit it when it's dry or a persistant wind.

Shame gate cannot be altered.

Could you get a local farmer or builders merchant to drop a ride on over a wall in slings with handler or hiab . It's probably worth £40 for the time you will save.

I've done the rake up and collect and then do it again it's a real demoraliser.