Pick-up speed limits

kevinjohnsonmbe

Anything that is normally fitted would have to be included in unladen weight. If you regularly alternate from canopy to tonneau to open I guess you could argue pick one of the three, I doubt it happens much though. Even worse if load bay is kitted out with a slider or racking etc.

Just to muddy the water even more! ask the dealer what the mass in service would be stated on the log book?

I would guess if no other figures where available plod would use this to ascertain the unladen weight, I believe mass in service includes 75kgs for driver and 90% fuel, toolkit, jack, etc.

I my case, `13 plate ranger double cab 3.2, log book states 2228kgs mass in service less 75kg driver, and 72kg (90% of 80 litre tank) gives 2081kgs, I dare say you could argue that the tools and jack and other bits and pieces would come to 41 plus kgs to be in DPV class, but I`ve settled myself to think it comes under commercial speed limits.

If the mass in service was stated as around 2187kgs (assuming 80 litre fuel tank) there would be no argument that it was a DPV.

The mass in Service of My 65 plate Hilux DC 3.0 Invincible says 2045kg. SO with the reduction of drivers weight and a similar figure for the fuel it comes in well under 2040kg.

Yet on my documentation the vehicle has a taxation class of Light Goods Vehicle.

So should this be in the DPV category or LGV?

The mass in Service of My 65 plate Hilux DC 3.0 Invincible says 2045kg. SO with the reduction of drivers weight and a similar figure for the fuel it comes in well under 2040kg.

Yet on my documentation the vehicle has a taxation class of Light Goods Vehicle.

I think that's an apples v oranges scenario - the Road Fund Licence class may be correct as LGV and so could the DPV category be correct.

RFL class and vehicle designated as DPV are not mutually exclusive (I think!?!)

My money is on the tax class being PLG

Private Light goods.

Just the same as all cars & vans.

Email reply today....

Good morning Kevin

Thank you for the email. I’ve sent off to Toyota GB to clarify. I totally agree with your points and we need to have clarity around it for all moving forward.

I have found on our initial product brief a mention of kerb weight “Kerb weight/kerb mass is the weight of a standard specification vehicle, including fluids and 90% full fuel tank, but without the driver, any passengers or cargo. This would place the vehicle below the 2040 limit for DVP / DVSA ie 2090 less 72 = 2018 (80 litre fuel tank) This might be why it has not been highlighted as an issue before.

I’m awaiting confirmation from TGB as this would alter the earlier response. As soon as I receive I will let you know.

Kind regards

Just had a call:

In essence, the garage (main dealer Exeter) MoT all past and current Hilux as Class 4 by entering the chassis number and following the online process.

There is no answer, just yet, as to unladen weight of the 2016 crew cab. I offered to put it on a weigh bridge!!

My question then was, well, if it's being MoT'd as class 4, but it's not a DPV because it exceeds 2040kg, does that mean it's MoT'd in the wrong class and should be class 7 LCV and thereby leaving the driver / owner open to problems with DVSA/VOSA/Plod for not having a valid MoT cert?

Bit of a stunned silence.....

I don't think I mind if it does turn out to be too heavy for DPV and is subject to lower speed limits, I don't even think there's a massive difference in cost between class 4 & class 7 MoT (i may be wrong), I just want a straight answer one way or the other - surely it's not too much to ask? This is giving me a headache!

Pre 2016 Hilux Invincibles all stated a kerb weight of less than 2040kg, so it is classed as a DPV (meets the 4WD,seating and cab glass requirements) the heaviest being the 3.0l Invincible Auto, just gliding in at 2030kg as the heaviest

I guess the new model Hilux are now heavier at over 2100kg and thus fall foul of existing DPV weight criteria

I have just had a new Navara Tekna (top spec, all the bells and whistles etc, basically a similar version to what you are looking at) and nowhere in the owners manual or on the vehicle can I find reference to kerb weight/unladen weight. The brochure shows minimum kerb weight (with no driver but full tank of fuel) at 1998kg for this variant/spec. The V5 lists the mass in service as 2038kg (I can't imagine it is a coincidence that it sneaks in below 2040kg). I don't know what is or isn't included to give the two different figures, and don't know what the truck actually weights in reality either but will try and stick it on a weigh bridge before I fill it with all my crap and bolt a load of kit onto it!

That's exactly the problem I've been experiencing Monkey!

All parties are using slightly differing terminology to describe "weight" and to make matters worse, defining what is / isn't included within their use of the varying terms slightly differently.

I had a call from the salesman yesterday promising a link to a DVSA special notice which clears the whole thing up!

I wait patiently for it to arrive and will share!!

Pre 2016 Hilux Invincibles all stated a kerb weight of less than 2040kg, so it is classed as a DPV (meets the 4WD,seating and cab glass requirements) the heaviest being the 3.0l Invincible Auto, just gliding in at 2030kg as the heaviest

I guess the new model Hilux are now heavier at over 2100kg and thus fall foul of existing DPV weight criteria

I checked the brochures, for old and new Hilux and the Kerb Weight is stated at 2030kg for the old 3.0l Invincible, so take off 72kg (90% of 80l tank) and say 5kg for other oils and fluids, then the unladen weight falls well within the 2040kg weight ruling for a DPV

Therefore it's ok to do 60/70/70 same as a car

It seems that the new post 2016 Hilux Invincible has grown some unladen and kerb weight and now doesn't meet the criteria for a DPV in UK anymore - but overall Toyota sell worldwide and can't meet every individual speed limit criteria

DVLA will categorise the DPV type classification on the original manufacturer's stated weight, for a bare new pick up and what you load or attach, post sale will not affect the speed limit attached to the vehicle, at type approval

Luckily I have bought the old model Invincible - delivery miles & pre reg and collect 1st Oct as I didn't fancy Add-Bloo or the 2.4 engine and this overweight conundrum just adds to the that, if you're limited to 50/60/70 speed limits and potentially Class7 MOT etc in future