Pick-up speed limits

kevinjohnsonmbe

I know but trying to keep it simple to work it out in my head while typing.

Makes no odds to me, as I`ve settled on my vehicle being commercial speed limits.

What grade of diesel are we talking about? summer/winter? call it 850 grams per litre for argument sake. 61.2kgs 90% of 80l

2176.2kgs mass in service would put you in DPV class not 2187kgs as posted before.

I'm reconciled to that too. It would be nice if the dealer could be open and clear on the issue and the MoT class though. I genuinely think they don't actually know the answer to the questions :thumbdown:

I'm reconciled to that too. It would be nice if the dealer could be open and clear on the issue and the MoT class though. I genuinely think they don't actually know the answer to the questions :thumbdown:

The toyota brochure gives

WEIGHTS

SINGLE CAB

EXTRA CAB

DOUBLE CAB

Kerb weight (kg)

1,995 – 2,030

Which surprises me

At the confor show one of the MEWP converters said they re rate the hilux to 3500 MAM in order to carry the MEWP.

The toyota brochure gives

WEIGHTS

SINGLE CAB

EXTRA CAB

DOUBLE CAB

Kerb weight (kg)

1,995 – 2,030

Which surprises me

At the confor show one of the MEWP converters said they re rate the hilux to 3500 MAM in order to carry the MEWP.

Latest brochure shows as below.

They've beaten me, I give in, I cannot get a straight answer to (what I think) is a simple question (nor the second order questions that result from the first!)

They have now, seemingly begrudgingly, acknowledged that a crew cab is NOT a DPV because it exceeds 2040 unladen weight and that lower speed limits apply, but they will not concede that it should be class 7 rather than class 4 MoT test.

It has reminded me of the conversation about wether a parked trailer without an attached towing vehicle could be ticketed for 'parking' on double yellow lines. "Just Me" said the question must be perfectly worded to avoid any misinterpretation, ambiguity or wriggle room mindful that it will be answered by a desk jockey who may, or may not apply common sense / experience / personal interpretation to the wording. I've just had a glimpse into the world he was describing - and it's raised my blood pressure!

I don't mind / care that speed limits are slightly lower (I believe we are the only county in England without a motorway anyway.) Similarly, I don't care / mind if it is class 4 or 7 MoT test. I just wanted a straight answer so that I knew what I was buying into - too much to ask for it seems!

Ford & Toyota sales team seem unable to answer the question other than to say, we've always done them as class 4 so it must be right. :bang head:

I haven't bothered raising the question of MoT class with Isuzu, he was just so keen to point out the deficiencies with the other 2!

I'm certainly no petrol head or expert in motoring matters but it seems clear enough to me as shown in the flowchart. Hopefully the main dealer 'experts' can find an error in my thinking.....

(I'll try a different format for flowchart)

597671d344387_ScreenShot2016-09-16at19_00_07.jpg.ae2d46a2e6f96fd951ed969bc07c6c15.jpg

Pick Up Flowchart.pdf

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

Latest brochure shows as below.

They've beaten me, I give in,

That I don't believe

They have now, seemingly begrudgingly, acknowledged that a crew cab is NOT a DPV because it exceeds 2040 unladen weight and that lower speed limits apply, but they will not concede that it should be class 7 rather than class 4 MoT test.

(I'll try a different format for flowchart)

Did you do the flowchart?

If they accept it may not be a DPV then they have to accept it will need a class 7 test.

At the beginning I felt sure the later Land Rover products would not be under 2040kg and that neither would the hilux but those two brochures, whilst showing the kerb weight increasing over time do not actually mention unladen weight.

I have tried to check the difference but unladen weight is without fuel , jack,spanner or a spare wheel.

I thought kerb weight included a full tank of fuel, driver and ready to roll. So there may well be 150kg difference. The cheapest way to find out is to bung it over a public weighbridge.

I have! I've rolled over!! I've ordered it despite the appalling sales work and lack of product knowledge. It's either that, or they are intentionally being obtuse so as not to dissuade potential future customers?

I did the flowchart, no guarantee its right, just my best stab at trying to understand the overlapping parameters.

Sold the 110 last weekend so waiting for a new shiny truck now. Driving at 60 rather than 70 will just be like being back in a Landrover (albeit without the noise, vibration, resonance from the roof rack and leaking roof!)

I'm minded to document the whole tortuous saga of attempting to extract accurate & reliable info from the dealer to Toyota UK.

I will either get the demo on a weigh bridge or get mine on it. Although I can't seem to get a definitive answer on what constitutes "kerb weight" / unladen weight or even which one applies when trying to establish the +/- 2040kg issue.

I will either get the demo on a weigh bridge or get mine on it. Although I can't seem to get a definitive answer on what constitutes "kerb weight" / unladen weight or even which one applies when trying to establish the +/- 2040kg issue.

It's unladen weight and that is

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

So run the fuel low, remove the ancillaries, put it on the weighbridge and get out before the weight is recorded.

Speed limit - Nissan-Navara.net

Gets discussed loads of times on the pickup forums. Long story short, same as car

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Sorry fella, your link and this one both identify regulations from Govdot websites that state <2040kg unladen weight as the qualifying criteria for a DPV.

Some of the comments on the thread you link made me think the contributors probably had twin vertical exhaust stacks, super wide wheels and raised suspension, dixie horns, a gallon of moonshine in the back and a confederate flag on the bonnet of their Navarra. (come to think of it, that sounds pretty good!)

Long story long, lower speed limits apply if not within qualifying weight range for a DPV.

Mind, it is purely an 'academic' issue since people will and do drive at what ever speed they fancy - I just happened across the issue of dealers either not knowing or not making the info available to prospective new customers and wanted to get to the bottom of it.

Try throwing the MoT class question in to the Navarra boys, stand well back and take cover!!