Pick-up speed limits

kevinjohnsonmbe

(swearing!)

I thought I had that piece squared away.

So here we are back with the terminology issue....

Goods vehicles (up to 3,000kg design gross weight) from here: MOT Classes & Costs | MOT Check

What does design gross weight mean?

From Hilux brochure: Gross vehicle weight – total (kg) (3210kg)

How does design gross weight differ from gross vehicle weight?

From Hilux brochure: Payload 1045/1055kg

Is design gross weight what it can carry or what it weighs?

:bang head:

These are the sort of questions I would have thought the sales team should know but, frankly, he's just making matters even more confusing!

The guidance given to MOT testers is that, when dealing with things like pick ups and the ULW they should always assume that it is under. 110 should have easily fallen into class 4 unless heavily modified.

I cannot remember the numbers but it was close to 2040 and that's an ex mod V8, a TD5 must be heavier.

I posted a question a year ago

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/46191-tipping-trailer-log-delivering-6.html#post1363281

(swearing!)

I thought I had that piece squared away.

so much for red herrings

So here we are back with the terminology issue....

Goods vehicles (up to 3,000kg design gross weight) from here: MOT Classes & Costs | MOT Check

What does design gross weight mean?

From Hilux brochure: Gross vehicle weight – total (kg) (3210kg)

How does design gross weight differ from gross vehicle weight?

It doesn’t so the hilux would be class 7 were it not for the fact it would qualify as a DPV if under 2040kg unladen (remove hard top and spare wheel nearly empty fuel tank and take it to a public weighbridge)

I haven't weighed our 14 plate hilux crewcab but Ignorantia juris non excusat and I doubt it qualifies as DPV on unladen weight grounds. It mostly tows a chipper so is subject to lower speed limits anyway. Let me know when you get your dealer to weigh it and I will warn my boss :001_smile:

I actually pay £35 for a class 4 test and £40 for class 7 and it should not pass a class 4 and fail a class7 so the only drawback is the 10mph slower limit on dual carriageways and ordinary roads.

Remember that change only affected heavy goods vehicles, not light goods vehicles (and didn't apply to Scotland).

Currently national max speed limits for single carriageways, dual carriageways, and motorways are as follows:

- Cars and DPVs: 60/70/70 mph

- Light goods: 50/60/70 mph

- Heavy goods 50/60/60 mph

A vehicle which is a DPV should always be tested as Class 4 for the MOT, not Class 7. When I asked my MOT tester why he had insisted on testing it as Class 7 despite it being a DPV, his response was "what's a dual purpose vehicle?" !! A short educational experience then followed, and he only charged me for a Class 4!

Although generally it makes little difference, it is worth remembering that a Dual Purpose Vehicle is not legally a Goods Vehicle. They are separate and distinct things defined in the C&U regs. A DPV will generally now be Type Approved as N1, and taxed as N1, as will light goods vehicles, but the TA class and Tax class have no bearing on the actual vehicle type classification and speed limits.

(For example, a 1949 Land-Rover is legally just as much a Dual Purpose Vehicle as a 2015 Defender, but its tax class will be Historic Vehicle. Until recently the predominent tax class was "Private/Light Goods", which included cars, DPVs, and goods vehicles under 3.5 tons GVW.)

There's nothing like cutting red tape, and this is nothing like cutting red tape!

As far as I can see you are correct on all counts but I had good reason for not arguing with my MOT tester as I take over 30 vehicles there each year, I doubt having a class 7 mot would have preventing it being a DPV if I got stopped for speeding.

Also as you may see from my other posts I doubt that a hilux crewcab with hard top will come in under 2040kg unladen. I remember in the old days drastically lightening a bedford CF 350 to get it under the limit and only squeezed by because it had a petrol engine and a mild bit of cheating. the limit was 15cwt in those days.