Pick-up speed limits

kevinjohnsonmbe

On 27/01/2018 at 17:56, difflock said:

They also specialize in synchronised snoring.

I’m not sure that’s unusual. Our rottie twins/brothers do the same. One starts to snore, the other shortly does. One has a little whimper in its sleep, then the other does.  I’ve never had two dogs from the same litter so don’t know if the bonds are normal, I’ve never seen dogs that groom each other, apparently tongues in ears is normal, one does the others ears then they swop round. But they never show any interest in the spaniel 

Sorry for the derail

49 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Working with an ex traffic officer the other day and asked him about this. As far as he was concerned it's the lower limit for single cab pickups. No idea if this legally correct or not but I dont want to be pulled regardless so will be sticking to the lower limits.

Seeing as you cannot exceed 40mph anywhere near your place that'll be no great hardship

?

• Haha 2

I go along a stretch of single carriageway A road with 7 or 8 average speed cameras on, as I’ve a double cab transit tipper I keep dead on 50 all the way with a queue behind me.
I thought the cameras could instantly tell I wasn’t a car , I’m not about to put it to the test and blast along there at 60, they can tell the diff can’t they?

4 hours ago, oldwoodcutter said:

I go along a stretch of single carriageway A road with 7 or 8 average speed cameras on, as I’ve a double cab transit tipper I keep dead on 50 all the way with a queue behind me.
I thought the cameras could instantly tell I wasn’t a car , I’m not about to put it to the test and blast along there at 60, they can tell the diff can’t they?

i don't tink so OWC.  me tinks a double cab transit is legally allowed to do more MPH over the single cab variant.

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

but what makes yewm tink dat?

well i must have heard it somewhere along the line and it kind of stuck with me,  so i always thought a single cab Hilux was never allowed to do 70mph on the motorway.  I wonder is this why some pickup manufacturers offer those 'space cab', extra cab', 'sports cab' variants which more or less give you almost the same bed length as a single cab but since they are a 4 seater you can tank along the motorway at 70mph versus 60mph?

6 hours ago, wicklamulla said:

well i must have heard it somewhere along the line and it kind of stuck with me,  so i always thought a single cab Hilux was never allowed to do 70mph on the motorway.  I wonder is this why some pickup manufacturers offer those 'space cab', extra cab', 'sports cab' variants which more or less give you almost the same bed length as a single cab but since they are a 4 seater you can tank along the motorway at 70mph versus 60mph?

They can both do 70mph on a motorway. unless they are towing, as they are less than 7.5 tonne gross and they should also both be th same on A roads i.e. 50 on single carriageway and 60 on dual. The exception being dual purpose vehicles which can go at 60 and 70 on A roads. I don't believe a transit pick up can qualify as dual purpose but many 4wd can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

They can both do 70mph on a motorway. unless they are towing, as they are less than 7.5 tonne gross and they should also both be th same on A roads i.e. 50 on single carriageway and 60 on dual. The exception being dual purpose vehicles which can go at 60 and 70 on A roads. I don't believe a transit pick up can qualify as dual purpose but many 4wd can.

sounds like you have a good understanding of the regs.  it's a lot to take on board!

If it helps anyone rather than merely confusing them further I have always driven to the marked speed limits in my King Cab Navara that now has 106k on the clock.  I've never had a problem with GATSOs, average speeds or roadside vans.

Obviously not when towing though.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2018 at 20:40, Woodworks said:

Just revisiting this after a discussion elsewhere. 

Is a 4WD single cab pickup a dual purpose vehicle?  I read the below as yes but then Liz pointed out the catch to be "for the carriage both of passengers and of goods" passengers being the key and a single cab can only carry a passenger. Is that right?

Provided that the unladen weight is less than 2040kg and the gross weight does not exceed 3500kg, then the fact that it has full- or part-time all-wheel-drive means that it is without any doubt whatsoever and Dual Purpose Vehicle and can travel at car speeds. There is no argument or ambiguity about this at all.

• Like 1