Pick-up speed limits

kevinjohnsonmbe

Thread resurrection (sorry!).

I recently received a replacement v5 from the DVLA for my new (september 2016) Navara. The only difference is the mass in service - it was 2038 on the original v5, and the new one has it as 2023. The max permissible mass is 3010 on both.

The cover letter with the new v5 states that the amendment has been made to provide evidence that the payload threshold is above that required by business customers to claim the VAT back. There is no mention of what this threshold is (I believe it to be 1000kg). The difference between mass in service and max permissible mass (ie payload) was 972kg and is now 987kg (still not 1000kg!). Mass in service and unladen weight are obviously different, and I still have nothing anywhere to refer to that gives unladen weight, either on the vehicle or in the owner's manual.

Someone must have had a problem with the VAT for Nissan to go to the trouble of changing everyone's v5s. I know it doesn't directly refer to speed limits but it all seems to be within the remit of this thread somehow.

Thread resurrection (sorry!).

I recently received a replacement v5 from the DVLA for my new (september 2016) Navara. The only difference is the mass in service - it was 2038 on the original v5, and the new one has it as 2023. The max permissible mass is 3010 on both.

The cover letter with the new v5 states that the amendment has been made to provide evidence that the payload threshold is above that required by business customers to claim the VAT back. There is no mention of what this threshold is (I believe it to be 1000kg). The difference between mass in service and max permissible mass (ie payload) was 972kg and is now 987kg (still not 1000kg!). Mass in service and unladen weight are obviously different, and I still have nothing anywhere to refer to that gives unladen weight, either on the vehicle or in the owner's manual.

Someone must have had a problem with the VAT for Nissan to go to the trouble of changing everyone's v5s. I know it doesn't directly refer to speed limits but it all seems to be within the remit of this thread somehow.

Oh bugger! I'd filed all those thoughts / questions in the "all too difficult" folder...

I'm going to have to go dig out the V5 now....

😳

• 6 months later...

Thread resurrection (again - sorry Kevin) but as far as the thread title of speed limits is concerned  I’m not sure just how much clarity we achieved previously.

In November I bought the new Hilux Invincible. Toyota Carlisle were very clear that the relevant weight exceeded 2040 kg for DPV classification and that it should be Class 7 for the MOT.

Now, upthread JohnnyBoxer said he’d been through a speed camera on a single carriageway at almost 60 mph. In a vehicle exceeding 2040 kg he anticipated he might well be hearing from the DVLA as for him the relevant speed limit would have been 50 mph. As Johnny never announced the arrival of said DVLA letter it appears he got away with speeding.

I’ve just been up the A9 to Inverness and back. In what may well be a taste of Big Brother and the future, many average speed check gantries have been installed. [It's a journey I used to do frequently and the trick was to memorise all the speed camera locations and respond appropriately. Usually driving at night, it was a great way to keep alert. I never got caught speeding. With all the average speed check gantries, you can no longer play that game.] 

In the new Hilux on cruise control I kept at the car speed limits (60 - 70 - 70). I should have been adhering to 50 - 60 - 70. If the cameras were all live and ‘phoning home’ then I ought not only to be soon hearing from the DVLA but worse (given the sheer number of cameras) about to lose my licence.

I was trying to gauge the speed of other LCVs. It seemed that some were keeping to 50 - 60 - 70 but others weren’t. But I am not expecting DVLA letters because there are also many road signs informing lorries that a temporary (ha ha) speed limit of 50 mph is being trialled where the A9 is single carriageway. The signs have a picture of an HGV and 7.5 tonnes and the 50 mph limit. Surely it would be odd to make all that fuss about HGVs (clearly differentiating them) if the 50 mph limit was and is being applied to LCVs anyway? I asked a local policeman for clarification but he hadn’t a clue. 

If the cameras _are_ phoning home then presumably they will enforce 50 - 60 - 70.

I will let you know whether or not I hear from the DVLA..

6 hours ago, Havelock said:

Thread resurrection (again - sorry Kevin) but as far as the thread title of speed limits is concerned  I’m not sure just how much clarity we achieved previously.

In November I bought the new Hilux Invincible. Toyota Carlisle were very clear that the relevant weight exceeded 2040 kg for DPV classification and that it should be Class 7 for the MOT.

Now, upthread JohnnyBoxer said he’d been through a speed camera on a single carriageway at almost 60 mph. In a vehicle exceeding 2040 kg he anticipated he might well be hearing from the DVLA as for him the relevant speed limit would have been 50 mph. As Johnny never announced the arrival of said DVLA letter it appears he got away with speeding.

I’ve just been up the A9 to Inverness and back. In what may well be a taste of Big Brother and the future, many average speed check gantries have been installed. [It's a journey I used to do frequently and the trick was to memorise all the speed camera locations and respond appropriately. Usually driving at night, it was a great way to keep alert. I never got caught speeding. With all the average speed check gantries, you can no longer play that game.] 

In the new Hilux on cruise control I kept at the car speed limits (60 - 70 - 70). I should have been adhering to 50 - 60 - 70. If the cameras were all live and ‘phoning home’ then I ought not only to be soon hearing from the DVLA but worse (given the sheer number of cameras) about to lose my licence.

I was trying to gauge the speed of other LCVs. It seemed that some were keeping to 50 - 60 - 70 but others weren’t. But I am not expecting DVLA letters because there are also many road signs informing lorries that a temporary (ha ha) speed limit of 50 mph is being trialled where the A9 is single carriageway. The signs have a picture of an HGV and 7.5 tonnes and the 50 mph limit. Surely it would be odd to make all that fuss about HGVs (clearly differentiating them) if the 50 mph limit was and is being applied to LCVs anyway? I asked a local policeman for clarification but he hadn’t a clue. 

If the cameras _are_ phoning home then presumably they will enforce 50 - 60 - 70.

Never heard a thing, but mine is the older Hilux 3 litre, so under the 2040kgs (Mass in Service is quoted as 2055kg on V5c, so once driver,fluids are deducted it's less than 2040kgs)

However I did do a SAC Course last week (speeding on bike) and did ask them and took my vehicle papers along specifically

They said 'generally' double cabs were allowed to do car speed limits....solo

However as vehicles like the Willdtrak/Amarok v6 were getting heavier, it was something that was now coming under scrutiny

They advised it was better to err on the side of caution and adopt LGV speed limits of 50/60/70 to be on the safe side

7 hours ago, Havelock said:

The experimental speed limit for HGV's on the A9 is taking them up from 40mph to 50. this was because they were holding everyone up and no one dared to overtake. 

I’m not sure just how much clarity we achieved previously.

Thanks for the update guys!  I don't think we did get a 'cut & dried' answer - perhaps to be expected when most of us probably didn't actually want the answer that we probably knew was correct!

Toyota Carlisle were very clear that the relevant weight exceeded 2040 kg for DPV classification and that it should be Class 7 for the MOT.

Toyota Carlisle appear to be more (honest?) professional than the people I was asking the question of who either genuinely didn't know or were being economical with the truth for fear of jeopardising the sale.

I'd imagine, if/when the time comes, that the cameras are 'smarter' and data base linked, and all the correct spec's are known and input, it'll all be automated without any human law enforcement indecision or lack of knowledge - that's the day we're all doomed - doomed I tells ya!! (or we could just slow down a bit.....?)

2 hours ago, Tom D said:

The experimental speed limit for HGV's on the A9 is taking them up from 40mph to 50. this was because they were holding everyone up and no one dared to overtake. 

Thanks Tom, I'd got that completely wrong. And whoops, you've just shot my fox (misplaced confidence that if HGVs were being restricted to 50 mph then I could go at 60 mph).

On 9/12/2016 at 21:12, rovers90 said:

I attended a speed awareness course in June and they made a point of stressing pick ups were limited to 50 on a single carriageway, 60 on a dual and 70 on the motorway.

Justme; is this right?  Previous threads and your excellent posted article yesterday says no I think...  For the purpose of all speed limits I treat my Navara as a car.