Moving to New Zealand

Sorry been manic not check on here for a bit. Diffantly will fredward work for Dennis clement of total tree care. I use to have loads of camel backs when I was in the forces years ago will have to invest in a new one! T.A seem really nice we're just starting to talk to retail about renting hopefully get some where sorted before we get out there! But will defiantly have some question soon cheers. Ha makes me laff how small the world really now with the internet as it so easy to talk to people all over the world!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really know Dennis, hopefully it works out for you but if it doesn't then let me know. Rentals getting harder to come by but I'm sure you'll be fine. Make sure any house you rent is warm and dry, some of the houses are shocking here, mold and condensation.. The modern homes are good but they used to build houses like we don't have winter, it can still get down to - 5c here which is cold enough. Homes with wood fires are great if you are an arborist though!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Cool all good to now thanks! Where are you buying your kit out there as I'm wanting to get a few bit and want to now if it's worth buying over here first and bring it with me or buying over there?

Two main places for kit are Levin saw makers and Treetools. There's a couple of others but Rich at Treetools is awesome. Stuff is expensive here so if you have gear you can bring without breaking your weight limits I'd do it. Check out Treetools before you decide and at least you'll get an idea of prices.

With regard to rentals; trademe also has a good rental selection but make sure you do your homework. Might pay to get something short term until you can figure out neighbourhoods and exactly where you want to be. Might find the Hamilton or Otorahanga is easier to find rentals and commute instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Again the info is great as always, yeah me and the wife are a bit worried about the hole some where to live thing! Thought that would be the case with kit was going to bring a bag full of new climbing kit and and goodies over with me! One more silly question we're doing what will hopefully be are weekly budget got rate and price for most thing but cat seem

To get a clear answer about what rates, am I right that the council run the water and sawage and if so is it part of council rates?

Cheers again as always you guys are a massive help and will owe you a drink when We finally make it over there!

Water and sewerage should be part of your council rates but generally, if you're renting, this should either be covered in your rent or by the landlord. Rates are sent to the property owner not the tenant. Just check the fine print on any tenancy agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Definitely bring gear over with you, at the very least I'd recommend buying new boots before you come over. I'm buying more airstreams when I come back to the UK in May as they are over £300 here.

Food will be more expensive than you expect, fuel is slightly cheaper. Vehicles and electronics are expensive so if you like your technology then buy a new phone before you come.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app