Moving to New Zealand

I'm in that same position now, I'm looking at getting over there at the end of this year and starting a new life, my kids and wife are my main concern as to where I live what the best areas for them to adapt quickly to living there as I'll be working hopefully and they will have to spend some time without me at the start which may be hard, so I want a good environment for them to get to know people easily and somewhere the schools are good

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you check on http://www.trademe.co.nz there are currently about 40 jobs around NZ advertised. Personally, as I said on another thread, I'd stay out of Auckland. It's expensive, the traffic is horrendous and in the city there's not much going on. The surrounding beaches are pretty good though. If it were me, I'd look at Tauranga, Napier or Wellington if you prefer the little city/town feel. Although these are small cities in their own right, because of the geographical nature of NZ it's never going to be a far drive from a good beach, bush walk etc. if you really really like the outdoors and to be away from it all then look to the mainland (South Island). Nelson seems to be a firm favourite but since the earthquakes both the Kaikoura region and Christchurch will still be rattly. Queenstown is apparently beautiful but expensive.

As far as work is concerned; if you work for either of the big two and/or possibly Franklin trees I believe they have an agreement with immigration whereby they can shortcut the visa process. They also have the work to residency category if you don't meet the points requirement through the normal channels. This does, however, tie you to the company for a couple of years. If you come on a sponsored work visa you can always change employers and visa once you get here so long as the new employer is happy to sponsor you.

If you're moving over here with kids I'd definitely look to the bigger towns rather than the main centres. Again, trademe will give you an idea on house prices and rental costs in any particular area.

Finally, NZ is a far different pace of life outside of Auckland. It's a very "outdoors" country and everything gets done when it gets done. Stuff is expensive (small market so companies can almost charge what they want) but the lifestyle, if you don't like big city living, is excellent. If you do need a concrete jungle fix you can always hop over to Sydney or Melbourne for a long weekend.

Thanks again yeah I've been on trade me and had some really positive repose from smaller and larger firms so it seem to be going very well! I have looked up franklin trees though so might give that a go if thing don't pan out. Auckland is diffantly not on are radar as for the skilled margeint visa you get extra points for not wanting to live there, which we don't want to any way! Nope we're diffantly looking for the more country life style so it always good to hear what your saying about the smaller towns and areas.

Cheers for your help again

I'm in that same position now, I'm looking at getting over there at the end of this year and starting a new life, my kids and wife are my main concern as to where I live what the best areas for them to adapt quickly to living there as I'll be working hopefully and they will have to spend some time without me at the start which may be hard, so I want a good environment for them to get to know people easily and somewhere the schools are good

It's is a bit of a big choice I keep thinking the same thing really. But no I've acutely started to apply to jobs I've found it's narrow our view a bit so I can focus on area in more detail which has help a lot! What sort of visa youyou looking at getting?

Cheers Dave

I spent 6 months out there working for an ag contractor so a bit different

But my experience was queenstown is expensive for literally everything its just a tourist hotspot

Dunedin was the most like and english town that i visited and think that would be a reasonable place to start

Where i worked all the kids went to boarding school at 11 ish as there was no schools for hours

Our nearest places where omaru and timaru to get anything bar food and necessities

Another place thats reletivly large is Ashburton

I was in a town called omarama and it was a shock to the system just how little there was there

Skilled migrants visa would be my choice but working holiday visa seems to be the best choice (easier)

Working holiday visa is very short term up to a year at first then can be extended to 2yrs with tb tests but after that its over no more extensions and if you havent got another type of visa you have to leave

Skilled migrant visa is really easy to apply for aslong as you have a sponsor its only a handfull of forms

Yeah we're going over on essential skilled visa as I have to get my qualifation verified and the time frame were on but diffantly going to get it once where over there plus you get more point on the E.O.I if your living there. Didn't find it hard to find a job thought it's crazy how fast stuff happen once you start the process!

I spent the best part of a year in Christchurch and in particular Sumner. It was before the earthquakes, but still regret leaving. Things may have changed since but it is a fantastic location.. Weather similar to the UK, but drier.. You can be on the beech in the morning and in proper mountains in the afternoon..