Walnut available

Mark Cattell

We are dismantling a large walnut in West Bromwich 5mins off junction 1 of the M5 limited access for a small haib or telehadler but is limited so a site visit might be required prior to collection.

Approx 1.5m dia and a single 5m length could be cut plus addition lengths from the main truck.

Positioned in the grounds of a community centre.

I will update post with some photos later today

PM me if your interested in making an offer. :thumbup1:

I'm not interested in the stem, but don't whatever you do cut that main stem in half.

Fell is as low to the ground as possible, leave clean cuts just above the fork above the main length. Then contact AJ Scotts, Chantlers, James at Whetstone Oak and Andy at Prime Timber and see who offers the most. Value will be dependent on rot, shake, darkness of heartwood, size of sapwood band and access. If all of the above are good, then price is upwards of £25/hoppus foot, so circa £3700 (that's on a mid measure of 37" quartergirth/48" diameter and 15ft length).

Good luck :D

As Big J suggests, heartwood colour, sap all play a major role in value. There are not many logs around this size and the ones we sometimes see this old are to some extent rotten but that is not always a right of. A lot of large stuff in the top can be used so it always pays to ask before getting too carried away with the saw. We recently acquired a very large butt with a 47"qg at the smallest point. Sadly the farmer ringed up all everything barring the butt which would have gone the same way but he didn't have a large enough saw to fell it thankfully.

If you want to ask any questions just give me call

Andy prime timber 07711 278745

• 2 weeks later...