what certs are needed for PL insurance?

Bootroyd

I recently had a couple of quotes and they asked what I was qualified to. If you're doing aerial tree work without relevant qualifications and they still insure you then your premiums are going to be higher; surely? If you're doing aerial tree work without qualifications and something goes wrong and you need to make a claim, I reckon getting a payout will be very difficult. Insurance companies do not want to pay out and if you're doing work you're not qualified to, then it's a no brainier really. You think they'd pay out if an unqualified gas man blew up a house? I doubt it and on pronciple there's no difference. They will do anything to wriggle out of a claim, no two ways about it. Go with Arb specific insurance companies, I just had a reasonable one from Arborisk

If insurers were to demand tickets/proof of competency at the sale stage, their sales would plummet. One company said they will only ask for certs if a claim is made. They can then reject the claim, based on inadequate competencies and it's a win/win for them.

You may have ten years of rigging experience, but without the rigging cert, your battle for a claim is going to be way, way harder should something go amiss.

• 2 weeks later...
If insurers were to demand tickets/proof of competency at the sale stage, their sales would plummet. One company said they will only ask for certs if a claim is made. They can then reject the claim, based on inadequate competencies and it's a win/win for them.

You may have ten years of rigging experience, but without the rigging cert, your battle for a claim is going to be way, way harder should something go amiss.

Not sure about this.

My understanding is that if there is a legitimate claim against you, your PL or EL will pay out to the third party. The insurers may then revoke your cover and seek to recoup the payment if your are in breach of the terms of your contract. I don't think they can just decide retrospectively that you weren't covered.

Insurance companies do not want to pay out and if you're doing work you're not qualified to, then it's a no brainier really. You think they'd pay out if an unqualified gas man blew up a house?

Yes. Similar with third party claims on motor insurance. If you're drunk and cause a crash, the other driver may receive payment from your insurers but you might not, and the insurers could try to recover the payment made back from you.

Never had to make a claim so not 100% certain I'm not talking cowpoo. Anyone had any direct experience they'd like to share? Probably not the sort of thing you'd want to publicise!

Edited by onetruth
clarity

Would the industry be a safer place if insurers had to ask for proof in advance? I suspect so. Quote over the phone, scans of certs within 14 days. Bit more paperwork but I'd welcome it.

Possibly not. Just more uninsured outfits.

Personally, I think a bigger worry is the fact that some tree work firms, who think they are covered for tree work, are in fact only covered for gardening/landscaping. Now that is a situation where the insurers certainly could refuse a third party claim.