New season

Graham

In this area (East Devon/ South Somerset) most of the hedges are growing out of banks and all of the wood is layed right down to the ground. What should happen is the ditch is dug up and the spoil put on the bank, in amongst the plushers, which will then root into the bank and regrow with new roots. The tighter to the ground the better really as then there is more chance of the plusher taking root. It works for us anyway.

Andy L

I was going to say the same! It's a regional variation.

Laying right down tight to ground on top of the bank allows dormant buds on the lower side (in contact with ground) to form new root whilst upper side buds form new hedge growth.

It's an interesting question though now it's been raised, does a more 'angled up' lay result in faster, thicker re=growth?

Perhaps laying down tight to ground is better for filling low gaps and creating a dense hedge - albeit perhaps slower, and an angled up lay is better for encouraging regrowth in a hedge with mid height gaps in the hedge?

I'm just guessing / asking..... Not sure?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to say the same! It's a regional variation.

Laying right down tight to ground on top of the bank allows dormant buds on the lower side (in contact with ground) to form new root whilst upper side buds form new hedge growth.

It's an interesting question though now it's been raised, does a more 'angled up' lay result in faster, thicker re=growth?

Perhaps laying down tight to ground is better for filling low gaps and creating a dense hedge - albeit perhaps slower, and an angled up lay is better for encouraging regrowth in a hedge with mid height gaps in the hedge?

I'm just guessing / asking..... Not sure?

I can't recollect ever seeing thorn root from pleachers in a hedge. maybe they can as hazel certainly will.

I had to lay some thorn very low a few years ago to fill a few gaps as there was no other way around it without dead wood. I do know the regrowth in the few low sections of 300m of hedge was very poor. Better to put in dead wood and keep a good build with the addition of a few transplants to fill any gaps.

The upright method of hedge laying creates a barrier, almost like a hurdle, that stock can’t pass. You have the ideal height not to shade the field if there is a crop in it but to allow the farmer to see over to help keep an eye on stock. For us, because of the bank, there is no need of the height so it gets layed down onto the dirt. If the pleacher roots in (which thorn seems to do) then quite often the horizontal wood will rot away. This leads to problems when animals get into the hedge as they can find a weak section of hedge and get through. The upright method, done on top of a bank does not work very well as it does not protect the side of the bank, leading to animals rubbing it.

Andy L

A pic of a 'steeped' Devon hedge - Bringing right down into contact with the ground is referred to as 'layering' "...encouraging laid stems to root where they touch the ground..."

I'm just a (keen and interested) novice mind! Hoping to get along to some competitions this season!!

Blimey look yours truley, this pic from the "Devon Hedge" book or something like that..... this is hedge laying not layering, though still a brilliant picture :thumbup: