Introducing Husqvarna X-CUT saw chain, crafted for productivity

Steve Bullman

Introducing Husqvarna X-CUT saw chain, crafted for productivity

This week, X-CUT, the first Husqvarna-manufactured saw chain was unveiled at the Huskvarna factory in Sweden. The optimised micro structured steel and chrome composition of the pre-stretched chain offers extended sharpness and high durability to enhance the performance of Husqvarna chainsaws.

The performance of a chainsaw is totally dependent on the quality of the chain, which is why Husqvarna has decided to manufacture its own saw chains, giving users the opportunity to increase productivity with a chain designed to maximise the performance of Husqvarna chainsaws. The first chain (SP33G) to leave the factory in Husqvarna is optimised for professional use in the Nordics (where tree types generally are softwood species and are of smaller diameter) and in the UK this will target landowners and farmers with the chain being fitted on all 400 series saws as standard (with the exception of the 455).

“The X-CUT is a milestone in Husqvarna history. We have provided loggers with world class chainsaws since 1959 — and with our new saw chain and bars, we can deliver a full Husqvarna experience, taking performance and productivity to a new level”, says Pavel Hajman, President of the Husqvarna Division.

The X-CUT’s four key elements which make a logger’s life easier

X-CUT SP33G is made of five parts (cutter, tie strap, bumper drive link, drive link and rivet), carefully linked together to become a low-vibration, pixel saw chain that cuts a narrow kerf, and requires less power from the saw than standard cutting systems. The output is four key benefits that reduces downtime and maximises cutting efficiency.

1. Long-lasting sharpness

The design of the cutters and the micro structure of the steel and the chrome layers have been refined to give the X-CUT chain a sharpness out of the box that lasts considerably longer before filing is needed. In lab conditions, the chain’s sharpness lasts 10% longer than a comparable Husqvarna H30 chain.

2. Low stretch

The X-CUT chain is pre-stretched at the factory, which increases the amount of time the chain can be used before re-tensioning is needed, hence reducing downtime. This reduced need for adjustments decreases the risk of damaging the cutting system due to a slacking chain.

3. High durability

The balanced combination of construction, materials and processes have resulted in a dynamic durability. Husqvarna has developed a unique combination of state-of-the-art processes including tumbling, heat treatment, induction hardening, and shot peening. High durability reduces wear on the cutting system of the chainsaw, and consequently the need for service and downtime.

4. High cutting efficiency

To maximise cutting efficiency, the X-CUT chain is engineered to cut faster and smoother, and with a well-balanced cutter angle. Compared to relevant competition, X-CUT SP33G cuts faster and more efficiently. Lab results measure up to a 10% higher efficiency than the previously mentioned H30 chain.

Developed by engineers and loggers

True to Husqvarna’s heritage, the chain has been developed in close collaboration between engineers and professional loggers. With the ambition to design a chain that increases productivity, the engineers and loggers have worked together to perfect the chain.

For me, logging is a passion and a business, where high performance means high productivity and better profit. I’m proud to have been part of the development of X-CUT and excited that there is now a chain specially designed for my Husqvarna chainsaws”, says Lars Strandell, multiple World Logging Champion with 30 years of professional logging on his record.

Production built from scratch

The saw chain factory in Husqvarna employs over 100 people and is strategically located beside the chainsaw R&D and factory. All parts of the saw chain are manufactured on-site, from raw steel to finished product, reducing dependency on external suppliers and securing quality of the chain. The factory is designed to be environmental impact neutral, and uses state of the art technology to recycle both chemicals and energy.

Availability and price

X-CUT SP33G will be sold by the Husqvarna global network of servicing dealers, starting with the Nordics, Baltics, United Kingdom, and Ireland in September. The chain will then be available in all remaining European markets during 2017, with other markets to follow after.

Recommended price for the X-CUT SP33G saw chain in UK will be £24.00 for 13 inches, £27.00 for 15 inches and £29.00 for 18 inches. For optimal performance, the X-CUT SP33G should also be used with the new Pro-Laminated .235” 1.3mm bar.

Specifications

597671c68e5c0_ScreenShot2016-09-06at20_54_06.png.27d51d72698a3628cb994f91563b98b1.png

Their not in collaboration with Oregon are they?

Seems interesting that RobD announces a narrow kerf .325 semi chisel a week before this! Is the 10% claimed gain in speed because the kerf is 10% narrower?

I have the chisel low profile 3/8 on a little einhell and it seems fine , if a little harsh.

I have yet to have feedback from the guy who put one on his MS261 at work. H

Seems interesting that RobD announces a narrow kerf .325 semi chisel a week before this! Is the 10% claimed gain in speed because the kerf is 10% narrower?

I have the chisel low profile 3/8 on a little einhell and it seems fine , if a little harsh.

Seems more tha coincidence to me.

Just conicidence I think :001_smile:

But just like all other areas of the industry progress marches on and now it seems chainsaw chain is getting better and more refined.

Oregon used to make all chain for Husky but now Husky are looking to make their own and are starting with this one.

Hopefully is it better than their bars have been to date - so hard to judge chain other than just a feel that one chain is better than another.

Could be a mighty chain test in the offing soon :laugh1::laugh1:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...