chainsaw carving

MattyF

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love milling Thuja- 'tis a great timber :wave: The salmon looks ace!

Here's a site for a very talented mate of mine- he loves mad techniques, has forged his own huge chisels from brick cutting bolsters, has modified and shortened a big Stihl brushcutter to take metal milling cutters, big air tools, 020's with grinders on the nose.... the lot :fisheye:

http://rogerday.eu

(click the b'band button for videos)

I'll second a vote for grinders with a sanding disc- they can take a huge amount of wood away very quickly (with 24 or 40 grit discs) or be very delicate. I find flap discs too expensive, always used plain (fibre) sanding discs with a flexible backing pad. The discs are about 35 to 50p a go...

Thats really good for first time, I'd love to have the time to get into carving. I wish i could get in contact with someone who did carving in my area. We have some much good quality timber stood at our yard. If i knew someone who would like it, i wouldn't feel so bad. What wood is beat for carving? We've got lots of oak?

• 3 weeks later...

Cool! I think you’ve really got something there.

Yes and how consuming the task can be.

KEEP AT IT

Ref-Grinders

1) 16 grit is available, Wow can that rip, and great for green wood, still clogs up eventually, take a wire brush to it at that point.

2) Yes they do self destruct BUT….. CHEAP grinders are not well machined and vibration levels are high. Also they have NO A/V protection on them. And the gears are VERY NOISY!!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Buy the best you can afford.

Ref-DUST

Please anyone considering doing a lot of machine carving, consider the real danger to health of the dust, fumes and oil vapor you are producing. One day, highlighted by shafts of light in a woodland setting, I saw the cloud of dust, oil, and fumes that I spend my working day in.

I now ALWAYS wear a full face hood with a filtered blower on my back. I look like an alien BUT I am staying alive. I want to be doing this when I am 80.

Also you can see a lot more clearly.

That’s enough health and safety for the moment.

Any advise required please ask

http://www.rogerday.eu

I use cannon too, good effort with the salmon. Remember you can make money with sculptures, I have done a couple for the National Trust For Scotland and each was over £2000. You gotta think big though, my first was a giant pinecone which i did in oak it weighed about 750kg when finished. My favourite was a bench that i made out of a single tree, the branches formed the legs so the whole thing was made in one piece despite being 16foot long, its now at Corrie shallock gorge in the highlands.

Try to put a portfolio of pics together and send them around, you could well have a nice little sideline.

Good luck with it.

• 3 weeks later...