diy pulleysaver - rope properties

onetruth

Great idea! I have done and it appears 8mm OP used to be used, so I guess I needn't have worried about the prussic.

Don't want to buy one as I have a 'spare' pinto but not a spare £150. I also want to make one just for the sake of making one. I'll take the compromise! Thanks for the link - looks like I'll find lots of inspiration there.

Any reasons why using a bowline for the soft eye (perhaps with a bit of hosepipe for rigidity) might be a bad move? Splicing/stitching is out of the question for me.

I think I'd be tempted to use a double figure of 8 instead of a bowline, it's probably be less likely to undo when rubbing again the stem/branches when you're moving about.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Thanks, guys.

I think I'd be tempted to use a double figure of 8 instead of a bowline, it's probably be less likely to undo when rubbing again the stem/branches when you're moving about.

Yes, I'd wondered about that. I thought a bowline might be easier to retrieve. Also uses less rope and easier to untie. I can't really imagine it coming apart while under load.

I suppose I can test both while tweaking things and if the difference is negligible I'll opt for the df8.

Thanks, guys.

Yes, I'd wondered about that. I thought a bowline might be easier to retrieve. Also uses less rope and easier to untie. I can't really imagine it coming apart while under load.

I suppose I can test both while tweaking things and if the difference is negligible I'll opt for the df8.

I don't think it matters what knot you use, it'll still be a pain to retrieve. 9/10 times I'll go and get mine, it's nice and easy and loads easier than having to get a stuck one using your tail end from the ground :)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the comments, guys. Here's where I'm at...

IMG_20160920_121532305.jpg.opt980x550o0%2C0s980x550.jpg

I tried using a fig 8 but I really needed an eye where the redundant end ran away from the working part, not back along it (excuse my naff terminology). Bowline seems to stay exactly as it should under load, and only shifts very slightly if I have to rock it about when trying to retrieve. I'm pretty confident it's fit for purpose.

Retrieval is a little hit and miss. If it's low enough in the tree for me to get a decent angle between the lengths of paracord attached at each end, it usually just pops right out, even from fairly tight forks. About a third of the time I end up having to go back up without the aid of the pulley. I've found that if I'm able to hang the retrieval cords over slightly higher points than the parts they're attached to it makes it much easier.

:001_rolleyes:Wow that looks like you are making it way too complicated!

Whats wrong with retrieval using your climbing line?

Three things:

(1) the eye spice on my bt sometimes does not pass through the pinto as expected

(2) the pulley comes through the eye much more reliably if I can wiggle it from above

(3) I want to lower it, not drop it

It really isn't that much more complicated, just a bit of paracord on either end. A little more snaggy than throw line but that hasn't caused me any problems so far.

Do you know how to lower it by attaching a throwing line to you climbing line?

This does away with the paracord and still allows you to lower it in a controlled manner.

Last time I saw something like that it was washed up on a beach with bits of seaweed attached! Not sure I would want to be putting all that flotsam and jetsam up in a tree:001_tt2:

Do you know how to lower it by attaching a throwing line to you climbing line?

This does away with the paracord and still allows you to lower it in a controlled manner.

Last time I saw something like that it was washed up on a beach with bits of seaweed attached! Not sure I would want to be putting all that flotsam and jetsam up in a tree:001_tt2:

I've done that when using traditional ring cambium savers, but there is no way that's simpler than using the cord. If I'm using the cords (as opposed to planning on climbing back up for it), I just pull off the rubber bands and chuck the cord over suitable branches. They stay out of the way, allow for more manipulation of the device, and it's no more effort than tying in the throw line. Besides, if I do get my rope jammed in the pinto (has happened more than once), I really don't want to be without my throw line as well!

Never had any problems with seaweed so far, will keep an eye out.

I forgot to say "thank you" to Joe Newton for his kind offer. I don't want a homemade splice as I would need to replace the part every six months. I know a splice would be better, I know a genuine pulley-saver would be better still. Until I decide to get a rope guide I think I'll persevere with my beach-find.