diy pulleysaver - rope properties

onetruth

I'm going make a pulleysaver type thing.

I was going to use 3m of xtc (or similar) with a bowline for the eye, and a 10mm prussic loop (tied dfk) with a pinto on it.

It occurs to me that when I climb on a prussic, it only ever supports half my weight. On the system described above, it would be supporting over double this as I ascend. (This is right?). I'm not sure if 10mm friction cord is the right thing for the job.

I'd like to use some 16mm kernmantle with something like tachyon as the prussic. On the honreybros website it warns (for Sirius): "Do not use this product to secure persons or for hoisting purposes, in compliance with the European Directive 2006/42/EC."

I definitely want to make one rather than buying one.

Comments and advice appreciated.

Edited by onetruth
clarity

I'm not sure but I'd look in the treekit catalogue and see what others are made of and copy that.

Great idea! I have done and it appears 8mm OP used to be used, so I guess I needn't have worried about the prussic.

I would buy the real mccoy.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/91492-home-made-pulley-saver.html

I made one myself but it's a compromise.

Don't want to buy one as I have a 'spare' pinto but not a spare £150. I also want to make one just for the sake of making one. I'll take the compromise! Thanks for the link - looks like I'll find lots of inspiration there.

Any reasons why using a bowline for the soft eye (perhaps with a bit of hosepipe for rigidity) might be a bad move? Splicing/stitching is out of the question for me.

I've used a bowline and some stiff tubing to help open up the bowline eye when the when the Weight comes off and it's retrieval time.

Cheers, that's reassuring.

If you did make one would it pass a loler ?

It could be untied and submitted as its constituent parts. Can knotted prussic loops pass loler?

Cheers, that's reassuring.

It could be untied and submitted as its constituent parts. Can knotted prussic loops pass loler?

Couldnt tell you mate im not a loler inspector and im no expert on it.Id say a knotted prussic would have to be unknotted to be inspected properly.

I suppose if all the parts could be taken apart to be inspected and had the relevant markings and individual id numbers-why not

Great idea! I have done and it appears 8mm OP used to be used, so I guess I needn't have worried about the prussic.

Don't want to buy one as I have a 'spare' pinto but not a spare £150. I also want to make one just for the sake of making one. I'll take the compromise! Thanks for the link - looks like I'll find lots of inspiration there.

Any reasons why using a bowline for the soft eye (perhaps with a bit of hosepipe for rigidity) might be a bad move? Splicing/stitching is out of the question for me.

Here you go

ac125f94e9437ddd645bc41c78721bd9.jpg