Why young un's don't stand a chance.

Goaty

further to the standards of education, and those who are suposedly the "clever" ones, I am having to re-write a report on a roundwood timber construction because my calculations are too difficult for a university educated structural engineer, he is unable to transpose my formulas and cant get his head round how a whole non machined log can be stronger than a piece of machined timber. these are the people signing off on new structures, what chance have we got

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

further to the standards of education, and those who are suposedly the "clever" ones, I am having to re-write a report on a roundwood timber construction because my calculations are too difficult for a university educated structural engineer, he is unable to transpose my formulas and cant get his head round how a whole non machined log can be stronger than a piece of machined timber. these are the people signing off on new structures, what chance have we got

To be fair he probably has no idea that wood comes from trees!

It would certainly help if the idea of schooling in the West got away from the Prussian system and actually taught children how to be autonomous and think critically. Unfortunately, the state seems more bent on homogenising education (and the results of it) than it does creating intelligent individuals; at least, in state-run or state-sponsored schools. Schools, and even universities, are just echo-chambers.

When kids are also taught to think with emotion and not logic, there's another serious problem. Discussions are not permitted because they might cause offence - what sort of pathetic excuse is that for not discussing something?

Edited by Kveldssanger

Echo chambers is a good one.

Books I've enjoyed reading are anout professor richard Feynman. Who worked on the Manhattan project developing the A bomb. His way of thinking, reasoning can't help but make a difference to those he lectured. He defied conventional education. It's not hard reading either.

Books are "surely your joking mr Feynman"

And

"It's fun finding out about things" or something like that.

A man that constantly stimulated himself with challenges. But as you say kvel.... I'm sure a pointless English lit teacher could bore it to death about it with some nonsensical interpretation.

With the talent on arbtalk we could create our own school for the real world. Without even mentioning a tree.