Why young un's don't stand a chance.

Goaty

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to understand why 50 or 60% of the kids leaving school today need a degree, and even worse need in degree in media studies (switching on the telly or doing facebook), fashion (putting on matching shoes and a shirt), tourism (knowing the difference between a castle and a theme park), hospitality (making a cup of tea) and some other silly ones. The trouble is that Universities are all businesses now instead of seats of learning and have to maximise their income. Selling silly degrees to kids who can barely tie their shoes brings in good money. At least in Scotland they dont need to pay nine grand a year for the privilige.

Hundreds of thousands of kids a year getting into massive debt to fund their education isnt a good way for our society to invest in the future. Proper apprenticeships, with day or block release will give any young person a good grounding in what ever subject they wish to pursue. Least my first 2 have picked subjects with good employment prospects, web coding and social work. Both them by the way have funded their own way by working part time during term and full time during the holidays and I havent had to put my hand in my pocket apart from maybe transport duties when there has been some awkward shift times. Proud of them both.

Eldest step son did a degree in media studies, did well in it but no jobs to be had about starved himself to death trying to stay living in london on the off chance of a job offer, now living back in lincoln where he went to uni and working teo jobs to pay his rent and repay his student loans, has now admitted he should have taken the advice he was given at school and the apprenticeship he was offered with bombardier.

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

Ive been thinking a lot about this issue. I believe its a major societal problem in the making, but can be remedied in time, with social awareness and political will. There's a series called "Worlds Toughest Jobs" where they take three British layabout kids who want to get on in their lives but lack direction and motivation - they send them to do hard manual labour. Very interesting how they react. Very, very interesting experiment. I strongly recommend this series, I was absolutely fascinated.

It goes around it comes around it goes around again and then it comes around. Groundhog daaaay.

There are plenty of decent lads and gals out there. My son wasn't academic but followed school advice doing some useless course at college. He needed money so worked on a local farm starting at 3.30am feeding, moving milkers around the yard and keeping everything clean.

He got a full time job shepherding and living on site with the sheep for twelve months before moving back full time to the first farm.

He's now in plant hire, HGV and farm contracting. Learned to lay a hedge and fell trees from me. He'll work 16 hour days if he needs to and lives comfortably with his girlfriend. He's 23 and his mates are all workers too.

My daughter, who's 21, funded her own trips to Asia by working and saving since she was 14. She's studying French and Spanish at Uni. This summer she took herself off to Mexico and Central America. Last week I took her to the airport as she's studying in Quebec until Christmas and then on to Uni in Valencia.

Neither of them have ever asked for money or expected it.

Proud of them both.

There are plenty of decent lads and gals out there. My son wasn't academic but followed school advice doing some useless course at college. He needed money so worked on a local farm starting at 3.30am feeding, moving milkers around the yard and keeping everything clean.

He got a full time job shepherding and living on site with the sheep for twelve months before moving back full time to the first farm.

He's now in plant hire, HGV and farm contracting. Learned to lay a hedge and fell trees from me. He'll work 16 hour days if he needs to and lives comfortably with his girlfriend. He's 23 and his mates are all workers too.

My daughter, who's 21, funded her own trips to Asia by working and saving since she was 14. She's studying French and Spanish at Uni. This summer she took herself off to Mexico and Central America. Last week I took her to the airport as she's studying in Quebec until Christmas and then on to Uni in Valencia.

Neither of them have ever asked for money or expected it.

Proud of them both.

And so you should be.

And so you should be.

Yea, I agree.. as a confirmed idle git, it puts my work life history too shame..

Manyana and procrastination have been my traveling companions as long as I've bin put to work.. :thumbup1:

If on the other hand I was paid to research subjects that catch my interest, I'd be a millionaire by now..

which brings up another point, if we could all find work doin somethin we're passionate about, I recon we'd all be well off..

Yea, I agree.. as a confirmed idle git, it puts my work life history too shame..

Manyana and procrastination have been my traveling companions as long as I've bin put to work.. :thumbup1:

If on the other hand I was paid to research subjects that catch my interest, I'd be a millionaire by now..

which brings up another point, if we could all find work doin somethin we're passionate about, I recon we'd all be well off..

Just about sums me up too :001_smile:

Ive been thinking a lot about this issue. I believe its a major societal problem in the making, but can be remedied in time, with social awareness and political will. There's a series called "Worlds Toughest Jobs" where they take three British layabout kids who want to get on in their lives but lack direction and motivation - they send them to do hard manual labour. Very interesting how they react. Very, very interesting experiment. I strongly recommend this series, I was absolutely fascinated.

That program, and many more of its ilk, are purely for entertainment rather than the documentary they are aping.

They give a false impression and far from experiment, they are brain out entertainment and certainly not an experiment

It's a lot tougher for youngsters today than when I was young (I'm 52)

Not least because they get lied to about the usefulness of the various courses they get placed on.

That there is a big part of the problem, coupled with a system that supports the lazy and the thief.

Therefore the "Why should I bother when I get it all for nuthin!" attitude will continue to prosper leading to a widening rift between the wealthy(controllers) and the poor.

The problem in the world at large today is that most kids have no desire to achieve.

Sadly a lot of this comes from their parents, as you have to be a pretty strong kid to say yup i want to achieve when your parents cant be bothered.

Also a lot of teachers are forever moping about, being negative, and the few i have seen that actually make the kids proud to achieve make some really great kids from school.