Why young un's don't stand a chance.

Goaty

That program, and many more of its ilk, are purely for entertainment rather than the documentary they are aping.

They give a false impression and far from experiment, they are brain out entertainment and certainly not an experiment

Yeah thats true, obviously the kids are selected for their "stage presence" and some scripting goes on. Maybe its not a truly scientific experiment but I believe the kids are genuine enough. Even if its not "true" so to say, at least it might make people think. Kiddies in the doldrums might watch the shows and it might trigger something in their minds like "Wow, I never knew there was such a thing as tree planting! - if that rocker guy could do it, maybe I could...." - maybe start them on a positive train of thought.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

being involved from time to time with an orginisation that trains younsters in various outdoor jobs, striming, spraying timber felling, planting, etc, and takes them to certification, it is astounding to find some of them who have problems with basic numercy and writing skills, these days it seems all they are bothered about in schools are the exam pass figures and goverment quotas, if you cant do it your cast aside and ignored

being involved from time to time with an orginisation that trains younsters in various outdoor jobs, striming, spraying timber felling, planting, etc, and takes them to certification, it is astounding to find some of them who have problems with basic numercy and writing skills, these days it seems all they are bothered about in schools are the exam pass figures and goverment quotas, if you cant do it your cast aside and ignored

This is sadly very true, but even with the government quotas, some teachers are still teaching kids to learn to learn if that makes sense, and although there will always be some kids which are academics and will achieve better results, teaching them to actually want to learn is a critical skill for life, whether you put them into a forest, department store, office etc.

Which may create an attitude that they are limited to what they can can achieve when they leave.

We have a young climber who has borrowed from his parents to get trained. He comes across as concientious, willing and intelligent. Looking to the future I asked about his literacy skills and whether he'd be willing to learn to do the planning apps.

His answer was that if he was good at writing he wouldn't be climbing trees for a living.

Defeated before he starts..

Defeated before he starts..

This was my situation. My handwriting is terrible. Some teachers amounted it to failure. Rather than the positive strengths and skills I have. Dragged through school by mother and some teachers.

Excelled on leaving.

My brother was similar, but after seeing me happy and thriving, he didn't get pushed by my mother. Less stress for everyone. Brother thrived after leaving.

But the kid you mention above had had 10+ years of being belittled and compare, now he says it probably so he can move on to more interesting topics.

Upon leaving school I was given a posh Parker pen, I got the last laugh it never worked!

This was my situation. My handwriting is terrible. Some teachers amounted it to failure. Rather than the positive strengths and skills I have. Dragged through school by mother and some teachers.

Excelled on leaving.

My brother was similar, but after seeing me happy and thriving, he didn't get pushed by my mother. Less stress for everyone. Brother thrived after leaving.

But the kid you mention above had had 10+ years of being belittled and compare, now he says it probably so he can move on to more interesting topics.

Upon leaving school I was given a posh Parker pen, I got the last laugh it never worked!

Thing is, life and education are about working on your weaknesses, so if someone's handwriting/literacy skills are poor but they're good at say, mechanics then they should be pushed to improve their literacy.

Just because one is not very good at something useful, like maths, writing, languages doesn't mean they should be allowed to drop it.

I too worry about the next generation.. I was in the supermarket the other day and at the checkout one loose item came through. He held it up, red faced, and with a nervous chuckle said that he didn't know what it was to input the correct code, or whatever... It was a clove of garlic and the guy was about 18-19.

I hope there are more academic types than I believe I see in day to day life. There seems to be a lot of youngsters that are more worried about their hair and how they look than anything real. I believe music and music videos are playing a big part in the way the youth sees the world and this blinkered view of reality that people in the public eye portray. Some of the videos and lyrics out there are mind blowing.