Horse chestnut confusion

Kemosabe

Evening chaps, first post I'll try to make it good. I've been a long time lurker. I hope in the future I can make some helpful contributions to the forum.

just after a bit of advice/conformation. I have a population of horse chestnut all exhibiting similar symptoms. I Suspect what the issues are I'd just like a few other opinions.

Symptoms exhibited, bleeding areas to main stem and branches within canopy. Areas of necrotic bark.

I know it appears obvious but there are other factors which maybe related or unrelated, for instance defoliation which is suspected to be leaf miner, however I feel the characteristics better fit leaf blotch. In addition there are a multitude of other contributory factors affecting the pop.

Any help opinions welcomed.

20160902_133757_zpsoltmtg1m.jpg.fcfe7c37b3561eddb28550f03f67d021.jpg

20160902_133805_zpsxbpghzvt.jpg.cc859904de81544369f05ce137eddcf3.jpg

20160902_170339_zpsgewn5ebw.jpg.8220c5174ab5687dd29fc4d03d9af334.jpg

Any takers on the foliar damage. I remain firm on leaf blotch as opposed leaf miner.

With regards to bleefing etc, so heres my thinking its clearly a phythophera based based pathogen. But is it root related or as we all suspect bleeding canker the symptons for which dont quite match in all cases accross population.

I kid you not 90 percent of pop within a close area all sm trees are exhibiting similar symptons. Is that usual for bleeding canker or suggestive of further underlying problems which are commonly attributed to bc.

Like i said overthinking.

I would say pseudomonas syringae aka bleeding canker, die back in crown is a common symptom as well as necrotic bark, I've also seen slime on the bark at the base. I read that it spreads through the ground water. The forestry commission have a good article on their website. A Dutch company has developed a treatment and it is licences to a company in the north of England.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It's entirely possible, if not likely, that your chestnuts have Pseudomonas syringeae pv. aesculi, Guignardia leaf blotch and Cameraria ohridella (leaf miner). Chestnut is pretty defenceless against all of these, and in combination the leaf blotch and leaf miner could reduce the overall photosynthesising capacity of a crown for a large part of the growing season. Combined with cankers that block return of photosynthates to the root system, a downward spiral can result. Extensive cankers can effectively girdle the stem and death is inevitable.

I've seen all 3 on chestnuts in Scotland, but not on youngish trees like yours. Sorry! Welcome to Arbtalk, the forum that rarely softens the blow...

"Welcome to Arbtalk, the forum that rarely softens the blow..."

Kind of like the world...:blushing:

To experiment i wonder about

replacing the soil below the diseased areas, cleaning and cauterizing the lesions, and drenching with phosphorous acid. :thumbup1: