Taking on an employee, advice please

County 764

Hi All

I’m on the lookout for a bit of advice on taking an employee for the first time. Something I’m sure quite a few Arbtalkers have had experienced with.

Do most people use some sort of payroll program? After looking online I’ve found a few firms that supply the software for about £5-£10 per month that also includes over the phone advice. This software seems to account for pensions, national insurance etc.

Also what sort of price sounds reasonable for employer’s liability insurance?

I know there’s also training overheads as the guy in question would be helping process firewood and carrying out general estate maintenance.

Any advice welcome especially on key things to consider

Thanks

Don't bother setting them on try and keep them on a self employed basis too much hassle when you are in a small way I only had one on the books was more hassle than 10 subbies and cost me a small fortune to get rid of them never again subbies for me every day you can afford to pay them a better hourly rate if you add up all the add ons you have to pay holidays pensions sick pay paye paternity leave or even maternity leave if you are lucky its a mine field that I will never set foot in ever again.

good luck

I had exactually the opersite experience with "subbies" not turning up at the drop of a hat, no respect for my kit or customers, didn't want to work in the rain, alway think they were worth a fortune cos they had a few tickets the list goes on, I know there not all like that, there's plenty of good se guys just my experience. I now have 2 full time and life is so much easier to plan, keeping them working can be a challenge sometimes.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

I had exactually the opersite experience with "subbies" not turning up at the drop of a hat, no respect for my kit or customers, didn't want to work in the rain, alway think they were worth a fortune cos they had a few tickets the list goes on, I know there not all like that, there's plenty of good se guys just my experience. I now have 2 full time and life is so much easier to plan, keeping them working can be a challenge sometimes.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

Those sort of subbies ain't worth two bob. They give other lads a bad name.

Keeping full time lads in work must be a real worry.

Hi All

I’m on the lookout for a bit of advice on taking an employee for the first time. Something I’m sure quite a few Arbtalkers have had experienced with.

Do most people use some sort of payroll program? After looking online I’ve found a few firms that supply the software for about £5-£10 per month that also includes over the phone advice. This software seems to account for pensions, national insurance etc.

Also what sort of price sounds reasonable for employer’s liability insurance?

I know there’s also training overheads as the guy in question would be helping process firewood and carrying out general estate maintenance.

Any advice welcome especially on key things to consider

Thanks

HMRC have there own PAYE software programme for free. Simple to use and free.

Takes me about 1/2 an hour to do the payroll for four people on the last day of the month .

http://www.cormacktreecare.co.uk

Thanks for the replies, always good to hear from other peoples experiences.

The guy in question has been doing a bit of work for me over the past few months in his spare time helping to process firewood and is a hard worker and looking for manual work.

I currently pay guys who are self employed who do a bit for me but the workload is going up.

I'll talk to the accountant tomorrow

Whenever considering taking someone into the business, some thought should be given to why.

Clearly, I'm not going to cover all or even most of the reasons here.

If someone is employed just to do some work to earn the business owner a bit above the persons wages and overheads, there's likely to be little long term commitment from the employee or the employer.

If the purpose is to build a long term and sustainable economy that all the stakeholders have the opportunity to be part of and benefit from, this has the potential to engage and develop the employee so that they actually take on responsibilities and deliver.

The former has all the toxicity and lack of authentic relationship typical in many businesses, not just tree surgery. It leads to the type of disenfranchisement experienced by employer and employee alike, written across the pages of forums everywhere.

The latter has the potential to build a working community where the legacy for the people involved is sustained through authentic communication and purpose. As a by product it also delivers healthier and less stressed lifestyles, nicer clients, great working relationships, sustainable economy and better working conditions and pay.

How cool is that?