Been asked why I'm tired

bigtreedon

late 80's i was a lorry drivers mate, delivering coal, animal feeds etc all over Wicklow, Dublin, Wexford. Twas physically tough but very enjoyable as i was gr8 mates with the driver and we loved the whole idea of travelling about in his lorry admiring the stunning scenery (some of the time) and meeting noice country folk.

I tried tree planting (sapling whips) on very rough, shale type steep ground and hated it as twas on piece rate and was mundane. Struggled to make £80per day. I was amazed at how tough it was considering I do tree work fer a living.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why I'm tired..??

Because previous employer*, had me flogged all day (HGV driving / plant hire co), when it came to loading the truck, you man handled the tools etc, and digger buckets (for machines up to 3 tons) on and off the truck.

NO forklift assistance 'allowed', just a little trolley.... :thumbdown:

Didn't do it for long (young and dumb, too afraid to leave - as he played with your head), but it's been enough to 'feel the effects' now...

Now just take it a bit easier, and if something needs lifting, get a machine to do it - regardless!!!!

*Employer, that's if you could call him that??

I'll not say on an open forum what I want to REALLY say! :bluboomteamenforcer

Spot on there.

Until the invention of the rough terrain forklift/telehandler all the jobs on the farm were not only back breaking but dust laden in confined spaces.

Loading and unloading 1 cwt sacks (used to be 16 0or 18 stone before my time!)of potatoes, meal, fertiliser, seed corn.

Trays of seed potatoes had to be filled from the cwt sack three at a time then stacked then loaded into the planter.

Shovelling corn into augers out of bins, unblocking combines, stubble burning.

Forking sugar beet, hand hoeing sugar beet

Working as a student on a dairy farm had a lot of the above but also the physical part of dealing with large animals.

Some of the early tractors were unbelievable for noise and dust and heat.

A day in a Track Marshall 90 after a stubble burn with the hydraulics so hot by your right elbow that they would burn you, the noise deafening, lungs and eyes full of crap and the levers so hard to pull that I have yet to meet anyone who can beat me at arm wrestling.

And yet I am still in awe of all you tree climbers and am much happier doing the ground work!

Spot on there.

Until the invention of the rough terrain forklift/telehandler all the jobs on the farm were not only back breaking but dust laden in confined spaces.

Loading and unloading 1 cwt sacks (used to be 16 0or 18 stone before my time!)of potatoes, meal, fertiliser, seed corn.

Trays of seed potatoes had to be filled from the cwt sack three at a time then stacked then loaded into the planter.

Shovelling corn into augers out of bins, unblocking combines, stubble burning.

Forking sugar beet, hand hoeing sugar beet

Working as a student on a dairy farm had a lot of the above but also the physical part of dealing with large animals.

Some of the early tractors were unbelievable for noise and dust and heat.

A day in a Track Marshall 90 after a stubble burn with the hydraulics so hot by your right elbow that they would burn you, the noise deafening, lungs and eyes full of crap and the levers so hard to pull that I have yet to meet anyone who can beat me at arm wrestling.

And yet I am still in awe of all you tree climbers and am much happier doing the ground work!

Brilliant

Still hard work on a dairy yet. Handling cattle and feeding plus long hours.

Working on the farm definitely a good way to keep in shape 8)

Hardest and most knackering job is looking after kids on a rainy day. I'd happily spend all day rigging pops as opposed to looking after the kids.

It is a hard knackering job and I have some weeks where come the weekend I just want to sleep but I'm sure there's plenty of other jobs out there that are harder.

But yes it does piss me off when I get someone on my case about falling asleep on the sofa at 9pm. I think a simple eff off would be a acceptable response.

Nice, talk is cheap, doesn't display much respect for your wife/partner and I guess you don't have a daughter of your own :001_rolleyes:

Many other similar comments on this thread, think R5log was simply displaying humour, if he wanted to I'm sure he could display respect to the same degree.