Logsplitter modding

Andy5600

I dont understand the gpm argument in so far as; why is a petrol unit giving 11-20 gpm better than say a compact tractor with 30-40 gpm. PSI is the critical figure, but say it was constant, surely the higher gpm from the compact would be better.

The reason I'm asking, talking to a few people; they tell me a petrol engined machine is the way to go, but all that noise, plus having to buy another engine, which needs more petrol which I hate, as its smelly stuff. For me a tractor is quieter, nimble and uses diesel!!

A good electric version would be ideal; but useless on site. But how many people split on a job? Mines all in a shed now, so am even thinking electric is the answer!

Decisions, decisions.

You have got mixed terms going on.

They are both important in different ways for different reasons.

PSI is pressure and that's what gives force or tonnage as it is commonly described. The other term you use is GPM which is flow, which gives speed.

Hello guys

Thanks for the replies so far,

Vertical petrol power one is what i am thinking of.

last had a splitter 20 years ago at my work, made by one of the now premier makers.

Fast cycle speed and foot operated petrol vertical, never had a problem nor did any of the others who used it. Had a tractor pto driven screw type as well which in my opinion was more dangerous.

Have used a heavy axe for most of the time then.

Have access to a grey fergie but not sure the limited hydraulics

on this would be any use??

Thanks

I dont understand the gpm argument in so far as; why is a petrol unit giving 11-20 gpm better than say a compact tractor with 30-40 gpm. PSI is the critical figure, but say it was constant, surely the higher gpm from the compact would be better.

The reason I'm asking, talking to a few people; they tell me a petrol engined machine is the way to go, but all that noise, plus having to buy another engine, which needs more petrol which I hate, as its smelly stuff. For me a tractor is quieter, nimble and uses diesel!!

A good electric version would be ideal; but useless on site. But how many people split on a job? Mines all in a shed now, so am even thinking electric is the answer!

Decisions, decisions.

Gallons per min is the flow rate not the pressure . If you want a 2 stage pump with hi speed until it meets resistance ( the log ) then you need a hi flow rate pump . This reduces cycle time . If you have a hi flow rate you need an engine that can cope with it . Also you need a large capacity tank so that so that the oil stays cooler . lastly the fittings and valve must be of a sufficient internal diameter to allow for that particular flow rate . You can have a splitter that produces say 20tons force with the above and you can have a splitter with a single stage pump say 6 GPM flow rate that also produces 20t force just it will have a much slower cycle time .

We use a Hycrack cone splitter running off an old MS35. We split up to metre long logs for biomass customers. It cost £500 (second hand) and has processed many, many tonnes with no incedent or accident and just sips the diesel. Our employers liability is £1000 per year and is the best money I have ever spent, you cannot afford not to have it!

We use a Hycrack cone splitter running off an old MS35. We split up to metre long logs for biomass customers. It cost £500 (second hand) and has processed many, many tonnes with no incedent or accident and just sips the diesel. Our employers liability is £1000 per year and is the best money I have ever spent, you cannot afford not to have it!

Second this . There is a knack to using a cone splitter but they are fast and easy to use once you have the knack .

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, going to do a bit more research and looking into things.

It was a Hycrack i used years ago also i just found that the vertical splitter better suited my needs.

As with any type of machinery it shouild al be treated with respect.

Decisions, decisions.

I think you are confusing litres and galls as i doubt you will get 30-40 gallons out of a compact tractor.