About time!

TIMON

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find crazy is how the powers that be allow it to get to this stage. I appreciate there are a lot of complexities to it but surely when it gets to a point that someone might owe you a billion euro then you start to seriously look at it. When they owe you 3 billion euro you maybe you put a team on.

I don't blame Apple in this scenario. They do what businesses do, maximise profit. Ethical, moral, decent - all a matter of perspective. Who I blame is the tax authorities for not doing their jobs properly. Closing down loop holes quicker updating rules and regulations and monitoring large companies. They are sh*t hot on issuing us small business and self employed with £100 fines if you are a day late filing your returns but will allow billions to to be lost from big players.

No loopholes here - Ireland runs very low corporate tax rates to attract companies to set up their operations there. Apple employs about 6000 people in Cork as a result, in addition to many other multinational companies.

This is the EU insisting that all countries have the same tax rates to create a level playing field, and they are instructing Ireland to collect the €13bn, which they will not do as every other foreign company will pack up and leave the country.

This is fundamental to Ireland's economic model so no surprise there are some grumblings over there around "Irexit" as a nuclear option.

The problem we all face through not paying what is 'really' due is we loose services that the state can't afford to run anymore. Wether that's Apple or sole traders. We all employ those nice accountant blokes that make sure we pay as little as possible. I'm as guilty as the next man, although I piggy back Mrs Egg's private health care.

This country, and others will end up like Spain and Greece before long.

Then we'll all be moaning that we can't get to see the doctor, or we can't get kids into decent schools, and so on.

There needs to be a major rethink on the tax system in this country.

Edited by eggsarascal

No loopholes here - Ireland runs very low corporate tax rates to attract companies to set up their operations there. Apple employs about 6000 people in Cork as a result, in addition to many other multinational companies.

This is the EU insisting that all countries have the same tax rates to create a level playing field, and they are instructing Ireland to collect the €13bn, which they will not do as every other foreign company will pack up and leave the country.

This is fundamental to Ireland's economic model so no surprise there are some grumblings over there around "Irexit" as a nuclear option.

Absolutely correct. The EU seemingly has not got the memo yet that as a economic group of countries under one flag their collective days are rapidly coming to an end. This should prove interesting how Ireland will play's it hand?

easy-lift guy

The problem we all face through not paying what is 'really' due is we loose services that the state can't afford to run anymore. Wether that's Apple or sole traders. We all employ those nice accountant blokes that make sure we pay as little as possible. I'm as guilty as the next man, although I piggy back Mrs Egg's private health care.

This country, and others will end up like Spain and Greece before long.

Then we'll all be moaning that we can't get to see the doctor, or we can't get kids into decent schools, and so on.

There needs to be a major rethink on the tax system in this country.

I think the problem is that it is too easy for multinational companies to move profits to the lowest tax country. All they have to do is get one part of the company to buy goods at an inflated price from another part of the company in a lower tax zone.

It would type of make sense if all countries had the same tax rates.

Irexit!?

Just do what the French do when a company gets its back up. Every Apple phone has to be inspected individually by a little office in the middle of nowhere staffed by one part time person. A maximum of 3 phones can be inspected in a day so about 10 can be sold in a week. Job sorted. When we have Brexit and running our own country again we can make the rules to suit ourselves. Apple, Starbucks, Amazon etc if they want to do business here they should be paying corporation tax based on the value of their sales here without the fancy accounting which currently goes on. With the same respect though British companies should be paying their taxes to foreign countries.