New Oregon 95TXL on Sugihara Guidebars - Buy a bar and get x2 or x3 chains FREE!!

Rob D

Hi Rob,

Parcel arrived yesterday so I fitted the new bar last night and gave it a go. I've not compared the two as I was too eager to try the new chain but with an 18" on my 560 it was going through oak like warm butter.

Bit more kick to it than the BPX I've been running on a 15" bar but it felt faster cutting. I've got a days logging to do at the weekend so I'll give them all a proper test but so far I'm liking the new chain.

Good to know :) keep the feedback coming!

Good to know :) keep the feedback coming!

Kit arrived promptly but it took a while to issue to a sensible and experienced guy. He fitted it to his old 026 and was impressed with the speed but noticed the clutch cover warming up after heavy work so swapped back to .063 chain.

My guess is his sprocket was worn and with the slightly thinner bar the drive links were riding up one side of the worn sprocket. I have ordered a new clutch and .325 rim for further evaluation.

Bar and chains arrived promptly last week. 15" for 346xp, that had previously been running 13" old style oregon narrow kerf . Spent an afternoon smashing up windblown sitka and noticed no noticeable speed drop for the extra couple of inches of bar... that was with 'box sharp' chain replacing a chain in the sweet spot at about 60%worn... will report back once I've had a chance to wear in and properly sharpen the txl. Looking good so far. Thanks for the excellent deal and service Rob

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the slow post in my findings but I've finally got round to giving both narrow Kerf chains a good try and was able to compare them to full chisel standard kerf on our 550xp.

All fresh out the box it was easy to see a difference over the standard kerf chain straightaway, even with the old style narrow.

It absolutely flew through some solid old dead elm and was fantastic in freshly felled sycamore. Particularly for de-limbing. I can't say in my less experienced hands I could feel any huge discernible differences between the two narrow kerfs but time will tell as to which product I buy in the future with regards to overall longevity, ease of sharpening and so on.

The sugi hara bar is also excellent!

I appreciate the opportunity to try it out Rob. Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the slow post in my findings but I've finally got round to giving both narrow Kerf chains a good try and was able to compare them to full chisel standard kerf on our 550xp.

All fresh out the box it was easy to see a difference over the standard kerf chain straightaway, even with the old style narrow.

It absolutely flew through some solid old dead elm and was fantastic in freshly felled sycamore. Particularly for de-limbing. I can't say in my less experienced hands I could feel any huge discernible differences between the two narrow kerfs but time will tell as to which product I buy in the future with regards to overall longevity, ease of sharpening and so on.

The sugi hara bar is also excellent!

I appreciate the opportunity to try it out Rob. Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pleasure thanks for taking the time to post your findings :thumbup1:

I have used both chains but on different saws , have not had time to compare them on the same saw ,my brother found wire with two chains. He is a bloody nightmare with machinery.

Anyway , they sharpened up really well and on my Spud ported 560 with the TXL on I cut a full 10'x5'5 trailer load with mesh sides plus the Navara buck , full of plum wood from an orchard. Probably 6 cube in one hour whilst my sweating mate loaded.

So far the TXL is holding up well to the 560 ,I wasn't sure it would handle the power.

Will report more when I get a good go with both.

• 1 year later...

So let's revive an old thread. 

I originally bought the 95txl and speedcut bar in 18" to replace my full fat chisel chain in 15"on my ported 357. I figured I could use the extra length...

Gotta say the oregon bar is pretty shite. Not really up to commercial arb work, but the chain is great. I normally avoid semi chisel but it's great for snedding and cross cutting.

I've got a 441 on 20" 3/8 chisel, which has pretty much been relegated in favour of the lighter saw on narrow kerf. 

The extra bar length makes it perfect for snedding as there's little need to bend over, but the chain is fast enough to cut over bar length without bogging down.

My saw is driven by an 8 pin rim sprocket for faster chain speed, which makes the chain a squeeze to get on initially, but if you wanted more torque a standard 7 pin sprocket would provide that.

I recently bought a new Sugi light bar which is what I should've gone for in the first place, along with 3 95txl chains (medium ground saws tend to be used for the dirty stuff) and before the new chains first sharpen I found a nail deep in a dead stem. 

Obviously I was a bit pissed off, but when I went to sharpen it I noticed two teeth had been knocked out sideways, and one ripped clean off.

Its a great setup for a medium saw, but I was a bit disappointed how it fared with foreign objects. 

Ill still be using it though. There's not much that comes close in terms of cut speed. 

• Like 2