Chainsaw Boots, The Regulations?

R Mac

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have to have a good justification for using non-chainsaw gloves (poor fit, weather conditions). You can't Risk Assess gloves out completely, you still have to have some. Same with trousers, you have to be able to justify using type A over C, for example through experience and weather conditions such as heat.

You can certainly apply these principals to boots, for example you can easily Risk Assess wellies out of climbing work. Possibly boots out of ground work if you're working in a really boggy area? I think you'd still have to have chainsaw boots though, much as with the trousers, you can Risk Assess the level of protection down from Type C to Type A, but you can't Risk Assess it down to a pair of shorts.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask?

Is this so you can wear a pair of caulk boots?

I think you will always struggle to justify the removal of saw protection especially when cutting on the ground. I can see how in the tree more flexable boots without the saw protection would be ok.

Is it not possible to get caulk boots from the US or Canada with chainsaw protection? I thought Husky did a set of wellies with caulks for the North American market. I'm pretty sure a Canadian forester has them over here, the only problem being they're not CE marked. They are still chainsaw protected boots though, so you'd have to be dealing with someone pretty pedantic for it to be a problem.

The reason I ask is mainly down to my belief that chainsaw boots as such are over priced and underbuilt, so many threads on here about boots in a forestry enviornment falling apart in a matter of months, Wesco or Whites boots are vastly better built from vastly better leather (I have a pair of Wesco Jobmaster and the leather is at least 3 times as thick as anything I've seen on chainsaw boots and the Vibram sole is proper stitched on)

In the end if it has to be chainsaw boots then I'll use them, I wear chainsaw gloves after all, just curious.

edit; Not considering using caulks

Edited by R Mac

Chainsaw gloves and boots are totally over rated and over priced, £200 Chainsaw boots will give little extra protection compared to quality work boots at half the price but this country is so rapped up in health and safety blame culture we have to cover our arses all the time.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

On a side not ive seen a video where a test was done on a pair of very popular chainsaw climbing boots.The boots in question offered practically no protection from a saw at full revs.

I completely understand your point.Seems to be the norm for boots to be more and more expensive but are falling apart within months.

Not good...

Why wear chainsaw gloves?! Completely bloody pointless!

I don't disagree but being a newbie I hadn't really questioned the wearing of chainsaw gloves as generally I'd be wearing gloves anyway for protection against thorns/wire rope etc etc. Having had a pair of £30 + chainsaw gloves fall apart in a couple of months and having read on here that quite a few don't wear them I probably won't bother just as soon as my new pair have fallen apart.

I don't wear chainsaw gloves when climbing although I still generally wear gloves of some description (which fall apart in days rather than months)